PDA

View Full Version : Fast breathing, pretty sure not flukes

addsomecolor
10-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi,
I've had my discus for about a month and a half now. The rams and discus seem to breathe very rapidly, but they don't do any flashing, clamping, floating at the top, or headstanding. They eat and swim normally, though the discus are still slightly skittish. This has been present since the day I got them. I did have 2 angels in the tank with the same rapid breathing, but i moved them to another tank and the problem immediately disappeared.

Both tanks have an airstone and some plants. The discus tank is at 84F and the angels are at 78F.

Could there be a problem that i should be worried about?

addsomecolor
10-03-2009, 08:50 PM
and btw, i do 20% daily water changes and the discus are at about 2.5 inches

Eddie
10-03-2009, 09:25 PM
What are your water parameters, such as ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? How long has tank been running? Is there adequate air in the tank as elevated temperatures reduce o2 levels? How large is the tank and how many fish?

Eddie

addsomecolor
10-03-2009, 09:29 PM
30 gallons
84F temperature
0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
running for 5 months
discus for 1.5 months

3 juvie 2.5" discus
bolivian ram pair
2 cories

there is an air pump with some amazon swords, anubias, and dwarf liles

Eddie
10-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Are there any other symptoms? Other than breathing fast, most juvenile discus breath FAST and the little time I had rams, they were breathing faster than a hummingbirds wings move.

Eddie

addsomecolor
10-03-2009, 09:34 PM
The only other symptom is that the discus are slightly skittish.
The rams are also protecting their corner pit with their fry.
I'm not sure if they're sick, but i just haven't seen any other discus breathe so rapidly before.

Eddie
10-03-2009, 09:40 PM
The only other symptom is that the discus are slightly skittish.
The rams are also protecting their corner pit with their fry.
I'm not sure if they're sick, but i just haven't seen any other discus breathe so rapidly before.

Well if you have a pair of rams with fry in a 30 gallon tank, those 3 juvenile discus are probably scared "S" less and are extremely stressed. A pair of rams can guard a nice large area and those little juvies have no where to run.

Eddie

addsomecolor
10-03-2009, 09:42 PM
will moving the rams to another tank help solve the problem? or put in driftwood to divide the territory?

Eddie
10-03-2009, 09:45 PM
will moving the rams to another tank help solve the problem? or put in driftwood to divide the territory?

I think you should move the discus if you plan on keeping them.

Eddie

addsomecolor
10-03-2009, 09:48 PM
ok, thnx for the advice, im saving up for a larger tank for once the discus grow larger. right now, i'll find a temporary situation for the rams.

rickztahone
10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
3 discus is not an ideal number regardless...

addsomecolor
10-03-2009, 10:05 PM
i knew i took a risk with that one. im keeping an eye on them and they dont rlly fight as long as there is enough food for everyone. If they start playing odd man out, then i may have to get another juvie, but i wanted to wait till i have the bigger tank.

joanr
10-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Juvies like a 30 gal, makes them feel secure. I think you could add another 2 in there at 2.5 -3" as long as you remove the rams. I usually grow out 4 or 5 in a 30 gal for awhile until they get moved to a 55 gal and beyond. But now you would have to QT any newcomers.

Eddie
10-03-2009, 10:28 PM
3 discus is not an ideal number regardless...

Ditto, get a few more or so and get a larger tank. A 30 may be good for grow out but they will eventually need a larger tank unless you plan on keeping them 2.5".

Eddie

joanr
10-03-2009, 10:40 PM
If you count the breathes per minute we could use the chart to see if it's within normal params. Adult discus average about 60 per minute, not sure about juvies, the chart is probably in the archives, I couldn't find the link anymore, but I'm sure someone here knows the normal breathing rate per minute for whatever age data.