PDA

View Full Version : which to add first?

jsciacca
10-04-2009, 10:34 AM
doing initial research to set up a 125 discus/community---after all water parameters are met, and all filtration is correct and the last thing is livestock---what should go in first community crew or discus crew? Ive heard long time ago to do community first this way discus won't have such an alpha issue. also, in grand scheme of things 8 discus too few or many?

thanks

Jhhnn
10-04-2009, 01:10 PM
8 discus would be safely below the recommended 10 gal/ adult fish, if you don't overdo it w/ other community residents.

I don't keep my discus in community tanks, but if I intended to do so, I'd set up the rest of the community first, quarantine them for a couple of months, then add discus. I'd probably obtain a group of the same strain and size all at once, be prepared to deal with a bit of a mini-cycle until the filter adapts to the increased load...

That's just me- I'm sure that's not the only path to success...

jsciacca
10-04-2009, 02:20 PM
At the moment filter is handling several convicts and jag and a Jack it will still fine tune itself to new parameters

Jhhnn
10-04-2009, 03:35 PM
At the moment filter is handling several convicts and jag and a Jack it will still fine tune itself to new parameters

Seems like you'll do just fine, in that case...