PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tank Insulation

rickscics
10-05-2009, 11:07 AM
With winter and colder temperatures upon us we can all expect higher electric bills if using 100 to 400 watt heaters. With many tanks to keep warm I'm always searching for better ways to insulate the tanks this time of year.
I would love to hear what others are doing to insulate their tanks in order to save heat and electricity. Thanks All, Rick

j_li8
10-05-2009, 12:01 PM
People have used Reflextiv insulation material to wrap the sides and leave them on through out the year. Foam on the bottom and/or sides also work. If tanks are in the house like mines, ill probably increase the house heating a bit to keep the room a bit higher. Also keeping the windows, blinds and door to the room closed, if you have one, will keep the room pretty warm.

rickscics
10-05-2009, 12:42 PM
People have used Reflextiv insulation material to wrap the sides and leave them on through out the year. Foam on the bottom and/or sides also work. If tanks are in the house like mines, ill probably increase the house heating a bit to keep the room a bit higher. Also keeping the windows, blinds and door to the room closed, if you have one, will keep the room pretty warm.

Yes I also follow all your advise. Just looking to see if there are other people doing something different. I have insulated my fish room /garage.The tanks in the house get some benefit from central heating. Nevertheless trying to keep tanks at say 80 degrees can be expensive and a challenge. My Electric was running $450. monthly when heating most the tanks.I cut it in half by eliminating heaters in 1/2 the cichlid Tanks . Temps in those tanks, "not Discus tank"s went into the mid 60's. Fish eat less but do fine until spring. Thanks for the input. Rick

csarkar001
10-05-2009, 01:58 PM
how many tanks you got, rick?

rickscics
10-05-2009, 02:58 PM
how many tanks you got, rick?

Around 25 right now plus a pond / I run aprox 1500 gals. Was at thirty tanks. Trying to cut back a bit. It never seems to work out that way:)

Chad Hughes
10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Rick,

You could try installing a small gas heater in the garage. That's what I use. Like you, my garage is insulated and will retain heat if there is heat there. LOL!

Anyway, you can score these little gas heaters that are meant for about 1000 square feet. They are natural gas and thermostatically controlled. You can keep the room at just about any temperature you like! The only issue with that is that all the tanks will be the same temperature unless you add heaters to the tanks that you want to keep at a bit higher temp than others.

Hope that helps!

rickscics
10-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Rick,

You could try installing a small gas heater in the garage. That's what I use. Like you, my garage is insulated and will retain heat if there is heat there. LOL!

Anyway, you can score these little gas heaters that are meant for about 1000 square feet. They are natural gas and thermostatically controlled. You can keep the room at just about any temperature you like! The only issue with that is that all the tanks will be the same temperature unless you add heaters to the tanks that you want to keep at a bit higher temp than others.

Hope that helps!
What kind of gas heater do you suggest/use? DO they need to be externaly vented? I was thinking of installing a natural gas wall unit. THey need esternal venting and it is abit of a job in my garage. THanks for the input Chad.

Jhhnn
10-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I've been using 1/2" thick reflectorized cyanoacrylate foam board from home depot on the tank back, bottom and sides. Dunno how much it helps, but it can't hurt.

MMorris, iirc, puts reflectix over her tanks at night, which won't hurt, either.

As Chad points out, natural gas is way more economical than electricity, but the ultimate long term money saver would be in solar, particularly in SoCal. Combined with domestic hot water solar, it'd be a good solution, if you can put the money up front to accomplish it... Even a very simple solar system can save you a lot, because the tanks themselves can become the heat reservoir to some degree... let the temp rise into the high 80's during the day, when the sun shines, then drop slowly overnight, start back up the next day... use natural gas heat to establish a lower limit...

I'm not sure how much it would matter, but the uninsulated concrete floor in the garage has to have a negative effect, as well, allowing lots of heat to escape into the ground... good in the summer, not so good in the winter...