PDA

View Full Version : Planaria

Jorge
10-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I just emptied my 55g tank and cleaned (with just water and some scrubbing)my tank, all my filters and other equipment. I have kept them (the equipment that is) outside, drying up under the sun light.

I will fill up my tank again but my question is. Will this be enough to eliminate planaria in my tank? I mean, is this enough to make sure that there is no planaria worms (or planaria eggs) left in my dried tank and equipment?? Can I put the equipment back, and fill up my tank with no worry about planaria surviving this clean up?

Eddie
10-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I just emptied my 55g tank and cleaned (with just water and some scrubbing)my tank, all my filters and other equipment. I have kept them (the equipment that is) outside, drying up under the sun light.

I will fill up my tank again but my question is. Will this be enough to eliminate planaria in my tank? I mean, is this enough to make sure that there is no planaria worms (or planaria eggs) left in my dried tank and equipment?? Can I put the equipment back, and fill up my tank with no worry about planaria surviving this clean up?

Jorge, planaria are pesty little buggers. You can control them by keeping up with water changes and doing good wipe downs of everything in the tank, prior to the water change. Prefilters help enormously as chunks of food decaying in your filter are basically a playground for them. If you are really worried about the planaria, move your fish to a temp tank and add formalin to the main tank. Use 2 drops per gallon and run the tank for 24-48 hours. Then do a water change and add the fish back to the main tank. You'll have to keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite in the event you kicked it back a little but 2 drops per gallon is very subtle.

Eddie

DiscusKeeper403
10-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Planaria shouldn't cause harm to fish life though should it?

hedut
10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
If you know how to use PP than PP them half day with light pink color than will be all set and clean it you filter :):);)

jaykne
10-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Eddie is pretty much right, I do daily water changes and have pre filter and I am carefull not to over feed my fish, I feed them allot 6-10 feeding a day but just enough to fill there bellys up and no problem with them anymore. Also a light dose of PP will get rid of them, Larry