PDA

View Full Version : Solo Discus

Surferdave
10-06-2009, 01:05 AM
I used to have maybe 7-8 discus in my 60 gallon planted tank. After two of my favorite discus paired up, I decided to sell the rest of them off and leave the pair in the tank. Unfortunately the female of the two got really skinny and stopped eating. I had to euthanize her. With the female no longer in the tank, the male has been a little spooky, he used to readily swim around the tank and now spends more time hiding. He still eats from my hand, but I think he's kinda lonely. What are the odds I can put in a female LSS of similar size to him and they hit it off. What should I do. Ideally I want another pair, and my current LSS is 6-6.5 inches or so. Will they get along if I can find him a gal?

Dave

DiscusKeeper403
10-06-2009, 06:20 PM
This can be done, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

mmorris
10-07-2009, 08:19 PM
A few things to consider: what did the female die of? Are you sure the male doesn't have what she had? Secondly, are you sure he is a male? Thirdly, buy from a reputable supplier who is good at sexing discus. You don't want another male. Finally, be sure to quarantine a new fish for three weeks at least. If I were you and I was certain I had a healthy male, I would get him a special friend. If they have issues at first, you can separate them with a divider. Quarantine first. ;)