PDA

View Full Version : White Masonry Sand?? Or White Pool Filter sand?

05 LL Stang
10-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I have called 10 pool supply companies around the metro Atlanta area looking for white pool filter sand. The answer I got every time, was "What?" "Why?" "We don't carry anything but regular silica sand."

Great, so I finally call a masonry shop and they said they had White Masonry sand for $3.95 for a 55 lb bag. So I am gonna go take a look at it, verify it is sand with no additives and pick it up.

Do you guys see an issue with using Masonry Sand?

Jeff

Harriett
10-06-2009, 11:51 AM
What many here call pool sand IS regular silica pool filter sand--it is frequently not a stark white, but a softer cream or buff color. [It's more natural looking, also!] Medium to courser grade, not the powdery sort. I am confused what you are confused about? Your local suppliers all said yes.....what do you need clarification about?
Harriett

05 LL Stang
10-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Going from what I read here, there is white pool filter sand, which to me is not standard pool filter sand. When I asked if the suppliers had white pool filter sand they all said no.

If what you say is correct and silica, or standard pool filter sand, is what everyone is refering to then I was mistaken. However, reading multiple threads on Simply I was lead to believe there was a difference.

So there isn't a difference?

captain morgan
10-06-2009, 09:41 PM
No difference - pool filter sand is silica sand - there are different shades of white to beige as stated in previous post - but it still is silica sand - inert & safe to use - dont know about masonary sand though? I had a hard time finding a pure white color also, but managed to find it, it came from Lane Mountain in Washington, check out some local sand blasting suppliers or quarries and see if they have sand from Lane Mountain.

05 LL Stang
10-07-2009, 07:38 AM
I found a silica sand used for sand blasting that is course enough and pale enough for my tank. It has already been washed and dried and does not have any additives. I will still rinse it thoroughly before I put it in my tank.

And it was 7.50 for 100 lbs :)