PDA

View Full Version : guidance

robxc80
10-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Hello Everyone,

Let me start off by introducing myself. I've been in the hobby since i was 5 which is 24 years ago. I started with Livebearers like most people and got hooked on cichlids since my first jack dempsey at age 8. Since then, i've been keeping and breeding CA/SA cichlids, Tanganyikan cichlids, and Malawi cichlids. Recently, i got "tired" of the same ol stuff and rescaped my 60 gallon into a full on planted tank with pressurized CO2 and lots of plants. Most of the plants being the "easier" ones like crypts, anubias, swords, rotala, ludwiga, and Hygro.

Ive had discus before a few years back, only to lose them one by one at which point i gave up. Recently, i got back in and now have 3 discuss along with various tetras and dwarf cichlids. That being said, i've got quite a few questions that i'm hoping someone can answer for me.

First, are Diamond Tetra's suitable to be mixed with discus?
Second, is pH THAT important?
Third, how many discus can i have in a 60 gallon measuring 48" long?
Fourth, what do i need to change with my water parameters?
Fifth, can Panda cories survive in 85 degree water forever?

Water parameters:
pH - 7.5
Temp - 85 F
dKH - 6
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 20ppm

Equipment:
Emperor 400 HOB: Aqua Clear HOB: 100GPH Powerhead: 48" 130 watt Power compact lighting 10K bulbs at 11 hrs set on timer: 250 Eheim Submersible heater.

I've added a exchange resin that is supposed to help reduce nitrate. I do weekly 30% water changes with tap (tap is pH - 7.5). Should i do water changes with RO water instead?

Sorry all for the long post. I just want to give my discus the best home possible. Since i like aesthetics, a bare bottom tank is out of the question. Also, having plants is a must for me since i want to elevate my experience as an aquarist. Lastly, let me know if i need to change anything with my equipment.

Thank you everyone.

Eddie
10-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Great to meet you and glad to have you!

PH stability is what is important, keeping it constant.

Panda corys won't last too long at 85F, maybe 6 months or so.

How old are your discus?

You can have 5-6 discus in your set-up.

Eddie

robxc80
10-07-2009, 12:38 AM
thank you Eddie. I think i may have to thin out my bio load a little first but i definately want more discus.

One other question, will the plants listed above be ok in temp of 85 degrees F?

Eddie
10-07-2009, 01:13 AM
thank you Eddie. I think i may have to thin out my bio load a little first but i definately want more discus.

One other question, will the plants listed above be ok in temp of 85 degrees F?

Sorry, can't help you with the plants as I have only kept Anubias in my discus tanks. :o

All the best,

Eddie

fishkeeper59
10-07-2009, 02:40 AM
hello robxc80, welcome to simply, i agree with eddie as consitency in your ph is whats important, 7.5 is good and your nitrate at 20 ppm is ok as your plant should be able to use that and imo will lower it.I understand the lighting demand of your plants and that intensity is important, but it's really a challenge to get your discus comfortable with so much light, just from my experience, my discus like a more subdued lighting.

Eddie
10-07-2009, 04:17 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59346

HTH

Eddie

mmorris
10-07-2009, 08:08 PM
I would increase the wc's quite a bit. If you have a planted tank I highly recommend you buy adults. It is very difficult to grow out juvies to their full potential in a tank with substrate. Alternatively, you might want to raise out the juvies in a barebottom tank and plant when they are close to adulthood.

robxc80
10-08-2009, 01:08 AM
the discus are about 2.5 inches in diameter if not a little bigger so i'm guessing they are about adolescent age.

They seem to hide quite a bit. They are feeding, but they are very shy. Is it my lighting or is the the diamond tetras moving around so actively?

btw, thanks everyone for your responses so far.

tcyiu
10-08-2009, 01:29 AM
My opinion is, given a place to hide, they will hide. I believe it's just their nature. If left with no choice, (as in my tank), they eventually settled down and accept that they can't hide.

Tim

smiley
10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I have a medium planted tank currently but the discus dont hide..maybe you need to give it some time. Discus usually takes time to get adjusted to the surrounding especially if there is a substrate & lots of hiding places. The tetras should give them the boost infact to come out into the open. I have had my colour skirt tetras help me do that.

What is your feeding regime? Maybe you need to bring them out by increasing the feeding gap a couple of times and check so that they may either come out in search of food or when they get the food they would stay there to know that this is the right place to be ;)

Remember they are fishes with character :)

mmorris
10-08-2009, 08:24 PM
the discus are about 2.5 inches in diameter if not a little bigger so i'm guessing they are about adolescent age.

They seem to hide quite a bit. They are feeding, but they are very shy. Is it my lighting or is the the diamond tetras moving around so actively?

btw, thanks everyone for your responses so far.

Discus feel secure with a lot of company, particularly at such a young age. The minimum number to keep, IMO, is six but they will be a bit cramped in a 60 gal. planted tank with company. Also, like Tim said, if there is a place to hide, they will, and it will take them much longer to become comfortable.