PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers

akumastew
10-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I have not ever kept marine fish.'

I was wondering what a prtoein skimmer does, and would it be beneficial in a freshwater situation?

Even just a little benefical?

Shoudl it be called a carbon compund skimmer, rather than protein?

- Stew

Ed13
10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I have not ever kept marine fish.'

I was wondering what a prtoein skimmer does, and would it be beneficial in a freshwater situation?

Even just a little benefical?

- Stew
A protein skimmer basically injects air to the water, this interaction creates surface tension between the bubbles and water molecules charging them. The oppositively charged waste then sticks to the bubbles where they climb up the skimmers body(reaction chamber). Once on top they pop and waste is deposited in a cup.

They really don't work in freswater for a number of reasons( some due to technology and some to the nature of freshwater itself), unless the water is so charged with dissolved organics (and other nasties;)) that by the time that happens you should've done a water chage a long time ago. In example a overpopulated pond.

The only benefit I could really see is adding extra oxygen, but you'd be paying a lot for something a cheap air pump could've taken care of.

tcyiu
10-08-2009, 01:25 AM

The scum comes from the oxidized proteins. Hence protein skimmer. If you had acetone, or other such carbon compounds in your tank, the protein skimmer would not affect those.

I agree with Ed. Best leave this bit of technology to our saltwater compatriots.

Tim