PDA

View Full Version : Too much garlic?

tdiscusman
10-07-2009, 09:22 PM
I've seen on here that some people add garlic to their beef heart recipe, so I thought I give it a try. I didn't have any fresh garlic so i used powder garlic. I may have put too much or something the garlic smell is kinda strong, i didn't measure, just sprinkle the garlic powder on. I notice after feeding some of my juvies discus turn dark and after about an hour or so it turn light/back to normal again. They just turned dark, I don't see any sign of sick, like clamped fins scratching etc. My beef heart mix is very simple (listed below) so the only thing i can think off is garlic. Or is it overfed? Anyone has experience this before or any ideas?

I've just got back to keeping Discus and this is the first batch of beef heart mix I've made.

beef heart (de-veign, trimmed fat)
crush shrimp pellets
chopped spinach
garlic powder.

thanks
Tony Nguyen

John_Nicholson
10-07-2009, 09:29 PM
First garlic powder will not do anything for your discus. Jack Wattley's experiment established that it had to be fresh garlic. Second I have used enough fresh garlic that my entire fishroom smelled of garlic and the fish were fine.

-john

akumastew
10-07-2009, 09:30 PM
First garlic powder will not do anything for your discus. Jack Wattley's experiment established that it had to be fresh garlic. Second I have used enough fresh garlic that my entire fishroom smelled of garlic and the fish were fine.

-john

Can you post information on Jack's test?

Bilbo_wh
10-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Aged or powdered or crushed garlic is only good for attracting fish to eat it and does nothing.
When garlic is freshly crushed a chemical reaction happens. Which is why it doesnt smell till you cut or crush it. The reaction takes about 5 - 10 miuntes to peak and will last a few hours before fading slowly away.

Discus-Hans
10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Mr. Wattley told me once you need more as 50% (pure is even better) garlic in a mix to make it work and it has to be FRESH and fresh only,

Hans

texasdiscusman
10-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Wattley wrote about his findings a few months back in TFH mag.Only thing that worked was fresh garlic and he tried them all.I think he said they were eating it raw.Most of us don't even come close to putting enough garlic in are foods.I use the whole garlic in my mix and yes John you can smell garlic in the whole garage

plecocicho
10-09-2009, 09:44 AM
In which issue of the tfh magazine?

John_Nicholson
10-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I am glad that it was published. It has been too many years since we discussed it for me to remember all of the details, but I think Hans and Randy are correct.

-john