PDA

View Full Version : Consequences of constant high temperature

smiley
10-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Just wondering if the growth or the life cycle of discus fishes would differ from a normal one if the temperature is kept constantly at 90-94 degrees (i.e. temperature at a higher end) :confused:

Any views?

Eddie
10-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Just wondering if the growth or the life cycle of discus fishes would differ from a normal one if the temperature is kept constantly at 90-94 degrees (i.e. temperature at a higher end) :confused:

Any views?

Parasites/bacteria would be going out of control at those temps.

Eddie

smiley
10-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the reply Eddie.

But isnt that when the fishes are effected by parasites/bacteria else do you think it would be an issue i.e. with proper water changes and clean tanks..do these parasites/bacteria pose a risk?

Eddie
10-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the reply Eddie.

But isnt that when the fishes are effected by parasites/bacteria else do you think it would be an issue i.e. with proper water changes and clean tanks..do these parasites/bacteria pose a risk?

Oh no....every aquarium has some sort of bacteria/parasite in its contents. The fishes immune systems and natural defenses can generally handle the levels. You raise the temp and the bacteria/parasites multiply at an alarming rate, the fish can't sustain or fight off the overwhelming numbers. This will stress the fish, break them down and the high temps were the catalyst.

This is just one reason, there are others but since infection is something I know a little bit about....I don't wish it on anybody's fish. Best to avoid it. ;)

Eddie

discus_newbie
10-09-2009, 05:47 AM
So which temp would be considered "perfect" ?

Eddie
10-09-2009, 06:16 AM
So which temp would be considered "perfect" ?

To be honest, what may be perfect for one persons fish, isn't the best for anothers. Also, many people change temps for their fish depending on their age. I like to keep a variable temp ranging from 82-86F depending age.

All the best,

Eddie

brewmaster15
10-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Just wondering if the growth or the life cycle of discus fishes would differ from a normal one if the temperature is kept constantly at 90-94 degrees (i.e. temperature at a higher end)Many Biological processes would suffer in the fish under those conditions.... Though Discus may tolerate the low 90s for short durations..thats not the norm in their environment...it not something I would advise....I rarely subject my discus to a temp over 88F.

Ideal? I shoot for..... 81-82F adults, 84-86F juveniles....

hth,
al

Peachtree Discus
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
infection

I have been fighting what appeared to be a bacteria infection, with lots of nipped-looking fins recently. Tho the fish have been eating and very active...no matter what i tried, there has been no real improvement in their condition. turns out that sometime after i initially raised the temp to treat my entire system...the heater seems to have gotten stuck and the water temp was above 90. I have been slowly lowering the temperature and guess what....the symptoms continue to clear up.

honestly, i did not check the temp or the microscope. but i normally keep my breeders at 80, so that probably zapped all the breeding out of those two. separate topic....it was stealth.