PDA

View Full Version : Beefheart available in San Jose,CA

tcyiu
10-09-2009, 09:17 PM
FYI. Just in case anyone here is within driving distance (city of San Jose is very large) , I placed a special order for beefheart at this Lucky supermarket (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lucky&sll=37.288932,-122.001664&sspn=0.012991,0.020449&ie=UTF8&hq=lucky&hnear=&ll=37.288924,-122.000105&spn=0.012991,0.020449&z=16).

The hearts arrived and they still have several packages. These hearts have been trimmed of major arteries and professionally sliced. You will still need to trim the fat and the "skin" somewhat. Ask at the meat counter for Steven.

Tim

j_li8
10-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I know that Nob Hill/Raley's has it too. At least the one in Alameda does. They stock it regularly and i never have to special order it. I just bought some and it was $1.50/lb. It was trimmed and sliced. If there is a Nob Hill/Raley's near you, I would check it out too when you can't find it. Just another option.

tcyiu
10-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks. Didn't know that. I called around to several "ethnic" markets. Nobody had it. Who'd thunk that the mainstream markets would be the ones?

Tim

DiscusKeeper403
10-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks. Didn't know that. I called around to several "ethnic" markets. Nobody had it. Who'd thunk that the mainstream markets would be the ones?

Tim

Yep, get it at my local Co-Op.

j_li8
10-10-2009, 02:33 AM
I know huh? I even tried chinatown and none.

Discus-n00b
10-10-2009, 04:12 AM
I get mine at the Local Wal-Mart lol go figure.

tcyiu
10-10-2009, 03:29 PM
LOL!

Where to find beefheart:

Nob Hill, Wal-mart, Co-Op, Raley's, Lucky - YES
Lion's (Asian supermarket), Chinatown, carniceria - NO

Man! Mainstream Americans eat the strangest things. LOL! ;-)

Tim

brewmaster15
10-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Man! Mainstream Americans eat the strangest things. LOL! ;-)

Tim I often get asked if I am making soffritto... an Italian dish..

For those daring epicureans...;):D:D:D:D:D:D Looks rather simple to make:):)

http://www.colavita.com/recipesArchive/recipe.cfm?id=1399

Beef heart has a very strong flavor but is low in both fat and calories. Serve with plenty of bread, or over pasta. Origin: Italian
Ingredients:

1 beef heart
2 tablespoon COLAVITA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (6 - ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preparation:

Wash heart in salted water. Place in a large pot, cover with water and simmer until fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and let cool. Cut in half; remove any membranes and fat. Cut heart into small cubes. In a saucepan, heat olive oil, saute onion and garlic until soft. Add heart, tomato paste, water and spices. Stir well, simmer covered for 1/2 hour, adding water as needed.
Per Serving: 140 Calories (49.7% from fat); 8g Fat (1g Sat, 5g Mono, 1g Poly); 7g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 624mg Sodium. Food Exchanges: 1/2 lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

j_li8
10-10-2009, 10:28 PM
I that you new BH recepie Al? lol

Dischris
10-12-2009, 04:12 AM
I live in SJ. I spent hours calling the "ethnic" markets putting my spanish to use. I ended up getting fresh chicken heart instead. Is this Luckys still open, and is the beef heart fresh?

tcyiu
10-12-2009, 02:08 PM
I often get asked if I am making soffritto... an Italian dish..

Al, have you tried it. Recipe looks good. In fact, when trimming the beefheart, the meat looked d@mned good! I mean, the absolutely leanest, reddest meat I've seen, and I've done my share of cutting up sashimi grade tuna.

Dischris, I don't know what's still available. Call Lucky at (408) 364-8800‎. Ask for Steven. These hearts come sealed and pre-packaged so I suspect they will keep longer than the ones just sitting on ice.

Tim

brewmaster15
10-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Al, have you tried it. Recipe looks good. In fact, when trimming the beefheart, the meat looked d@mned good! I mean, the absolutely leanest, reddest meat I've seen, and I've done my share of cutting up sashimi grade tuna. I haven't tried it yet...but everytime I have a big bowl of it cleaned and sitting there..the thought does cross my mind how it would taste...grilled with some portobello mushrooms and basted in Italian dressing.:).... I'm guessing it would be much like venison...it has a similar texture.:D

-al

Apistomaster
10-12-2009, 03:10 PM
For those of you who are making your own beef heart blends I have some advice.
Invest in an electric meat grinder.
I bought a Waring Pro for less than $80. The meat grinder does two helpful things.

1. The grinder's plates tend to remove connective tissue, fat and veins not possible to do by hand.

2. The ground meat will place much less strain on your blender and will prevent early motor burn out, saves time blending, allows the use of less water/binder to blend a given amount of heart per blender load.