PDA

View Full Version : Making drift wood

ben2988
10-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Is it possible to water log and sanitize regular tree branches or roots to use in the aquarium. I not worried about making it sink as I could tie it off above the tank. I ask this question because I just cant find any wood I like at any local stores.

05 LL Stang
10-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Try Creation Reef & Aquatics near 92 and 575. I saw some nice pieces there this weekend. Their large pieces were very nice and intricate, but pricey.

Jhhnn
10-12-2009, 08:38 PM
You can pick the piece you want online from these guys-

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/APetHouse-Malaysian-Driftwood__W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fsubZ0QQ_pgnZ2QQ_sasiZ1Q Q_scZ1QQ_sopZ1

These guys have a reputation for shipping out a quality product, if it's the look you want-

http://www.manzanita.com/aqwood.htm

tcyiu
10-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Is it possible to water log and sanitize regular tree branches or roots to use in the aquarium. I not worried about making it sink as I could tie it off above the tank. I ask this question because I just cant find any wood I like at any local stores.

The idea behind using real drift wood is that it has been water for a while, and the noxious chemicals if any have already been leached out.

The issue with using just any tree branch is that you don't know (unless you're an arborist), what chemicals are in the branch/bark and how that will affect the fish. Don't forget, some trees have chemicals in their bark to prevent attack from boring insects.

A lot of what is sold in stores are not really driftwood. But they tend to be known types of hard wood which do not affect fish. They're just called driftwood for sales purposes. Note that these sorts of wood will colour the water because they will leach tannins for a while.

Tim

Jhhnn
10-14-2009, 08:33 AM
The idea behind using real drift wood is that it has been water for a while, and the noxious chemicals if any have already been leached out.

The issue with using just any tree branch is that you don't know (unless you're an arborist), what chemicals are in the branch/bark and how that will affect the fish. Don't forget, some trees have chemicals in their bark to prevent attack from boring insects.

A lot of what is sold in stores are not really driftwood. But they tend to be known types of hard wood which do not affect fish. They're just called driftwood for sales purposes. Note that these sorts of wood will colour the water because they will leach tannins for a while.

Tim

True on all counts. Malaysian driftwood is actually from bogs. Most of the tannins can be leached from it by soaking in a container of water for a week or two...