PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Simply Way?

JPLDISCUS
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi

I just got a boat load of used tanks and filters that work.
They all need to be cleaned though.

Is there away to removed that dryed film on this stuff?
I've scaped tanks and power washed them before.

Just wondering if someone has figured out how to remove that dryed film and crusty crap from tanks and filters in a time saving way.

Thanks for any help one could give here,

Jim

Harriett
10-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I always scape the thick junk off and them wash down with white vinegar--works like a charm, just melts stuff off. I follow up with a 10/1 bleach solution or I blast the tank with PP to sterilize--if you are using a used filter, that should be plugged into the tank and get the same sterilizing treatment. Take no chances!!!
My 2 cents!
Best regards,
Harriett

zamboniMan
10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
I use white vinegar or diluted muratic acid. Be careful if use muratic acid as its concentrated Hydrochloric Acid. You need to dilute it alot and wear gloves. Either one works the muratic acid just works a little better. I usually fill the tank part way with muratic acid and the fill to the top and run the used filter on it.

Good Luck.

JPLDISCUS
10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks

I will try those recommendations.

I guess it wouldnt hurt to soak those filters in the bleach solution and then let them dry out real good, that should kill anything growing in there.

Thanks again

Jim

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Acid is going to be your fastest way....but as mentioned before, becareful as it can be hazardous if not done properly (fumes especially).

-Ryan

tdiscusman
10-14-2009, 02:32 PM
I've used C.L.R (Calcium, Lime, Rust) and it worked well. Just spray it on, let it soak for few minutes then scrub away.

Tony

fishorama
10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
If using acid you should add the acid to the water not the other way around, much safer. "Acid to water like you oughter"