PDA

View Full Version : Growing at Differnt Rates

JPLDISCUS
10-12-2009, 08:47 PM
My first spawn is now 8-9 weeks, The largest is about a quarter size and the smallest is about 1/2 of a dime. So I was planning to move the best ones to a another tank maybe a 29 gal, is that to small for about 20-30 quarter size?
Or is it best to move them to another 55gal. The reason I ask about the 29 gal is that I have 13 3-4'' in a 75 and need to split them for better growth and was planning to use the 55 gal. These need more room.

Currently these 50-60 are in a 50gl at the moment. It seems like they should be split because of these different growth rates.

I assume something must be done at some point.

Does the tank buying ever stop with this hobby?

I have another group of fry coming they are now 2 weeks old and still with mom and dad. Tank space is tough at the moment.

Thanks to all!

Jim

mmorris
10-13-2009, 10:48 AM

Does the tank buying ever stop with this hobby?

Jim

LOL It doesn't seem to! If you have some that are quarter size and some that are half-dime size in the same spawn, I would cull the small ones. Perhaps they might rebound on their own, but I personally wouldn't bother.

Rod
10-13-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't know the sizes of your coins, but judging by martha's reaction quite a difference? In a normal spawn there will be some differences but overall impression will be even. If you are getting a lot of very small ones they are likely deformed or runts or weaker fish. I'd cull them out.

Rod:)

freestylez_14
10-14-2009, 12:13 AM
hi sorry for jumping into this thread but i wanna ask how do you cull the fish? culling is killing the fish right? but what way do you use to cull?

Rod
10-14-2009, 01:15 AM
hi sorry for jumping into this thread but i wanna ask how do you cull the fish? culling is killing the fish right? but what way do you use to cull?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=72248&highlight=clove

JPLDISCUS
10-14-2009, 08:55 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=72248&highlight=clove

WOW didnt know that, I was just dumping them into anaother smaller tank for now and seeing what happens.

It sounds like pick to good ones and move on.
Need to get over that at the moment. I was treating them all as
they would catch up at some point.

Oh well, thanks for the insight

Jim

Dutch dude
10-15-2009, 11:33 AM
If the fish are 8 to 9 weeks old and the largest are only quarter size (24mm or slightly smaler as an inch) even they seem to be small. My fry are of the same age and most are nipping the 2 inch TL, some are 2 inch TL or slightly over and I have some fish of 1 2/3 inch that I will cull. I have to say I already did a round of culling and this is the first time I grow out a spawn so I'm no expert.