PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP R.O.D.I.

jrodriguez
10-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Hello everyone,I'm Joel and my wife's name is Denise.We live in lovely Winter Springs FL.We are in the process of setting up our discus aquarium.We are using an r.o.d.i. system to make our water. My question is, may I use baking soda to raise the ph,gh,kh of the water? I understand some people use the discarded water from the r.o.d.i. to raise there levels,Is there an easier way of doing this?

best regards
Joel and Denise

Elite Aquaria
10-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi there neighbor...Give me a call if you want detailed questions answered.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chad Hughes
10-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi Joel and Denise!

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with the methods used to raise your parameters. I prefer to use straight tap or RO waste water to bring levels up. Keep in mind you want some minerals in your water as well. Straight RO with baking soda won't accomlish that. Reconstituting with tap or RO waste is cheap and relatively easy compared to adding chemicals like Discus buffer or RO right to your water.

Something else to consider is, if you are not breeding your discus, you could just use straight tap water unless there is something very wrong with your tap supply that we don't know about.

Hope that helps!

jrodriguez
10-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Hello Dan,Thank you I'm going to have to take u up on that offer lol.
Chad I'm planning to breed discus,but for now I'm looking to buy about 10 juvenile's in about a week or so.Your not going to believe this, I just tested my water and the P.H is 7.5 K.H 80 G.H 60 coming out the tap dechlorinated. I used to have discus back in days where the P.H had to be in the 6.5 range and I haven't changed my mind set lol. Good lord times have changed!

jrodriguez
10-13-2009, 06:18 PM
These parameters are good right? or should I adjust to whom I buy the fish from?

mmorris
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Talk to Dan (Elite Aquaria). ;)

Chad Hughes
10-13-2009, 06:20 PM
For juvies, I'd leave it alone. They'll do great! Breeders.... fire up the RO! ;)

Give Dan a ring! He's great to chat discus with!

Best wishes!

jrodriguez
10-13-2009, 10:40 PM
THANKS YOU FOR INFO YOU GUYS
BEST REGARDS
DENISE AND JOEY