PDA

View Full Version : Fluval E Series Heaters?

David Rose
10-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I bought a Fluval E Series ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19658 ) thinking it might come in handy given some of my discus had a habit of getting burnt on my Jaggers. I never used it until recently and I can't get the temp above 81F.

Has anyone else had problems like this or did I just get one that is defective?

Chad Hughes
10-14-2009, 01:11 PM
I bought a Fluval E Series ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19658 ) thinking it might come in handy given some of my discus had a habit of getting burnt on my Jaggers. I never used it until recently and I can't get the temp above 81F.

Has anyone else had problems like this or did I just get one that is defective?

David,

What does it say that it's rated for? Is it designed to exceed 81? If it's supposed to, I'd return it for a replacement. That's a very expensive heater!

Best wishes!

kirkp
10-14-2009, 01:38 PM
I was looking online and couldn't find anything that indicated what the max temp was supposed to be. The question I have is whether it will let you set the temp on the readout up to 82 deg? If so, then I wonder if you have enough wattage for the size tank your trying to heat? The websites give recommendations for a certain size heater for a particular aquarium but that may not always cut it. Do you have around 5 watts or more per gallon?

David Rose
10-14-2009, 03:59 PM
It's a 300W and I've tried it in my 75gal and 46gal with the same results of maxing at 81F. I have it set for 86F and I know if can go higher...I think 92 minimum or I would have returned it when I first bought it given I read the instructions completely at the time. Unfortunately, I didn’t' test then as well.

I liked the fact that it would protect my discus from getting burnt, shows the current temp so no need to necessarily use a separate thermometer, color coded light that would flash blue or red -2/+2 and be green when temp matched goal setting.

It's past the 30 days, so I don't know if it can be returned. I was just curious if others had problems with this brand as well.

Thanks,

Chad Hughes
10-14-2009, 04:05 PM
It's a 300W and I've tried it in my 75gal and 46gal with the same results of maxing at 81F. I have it set for 86F and I know if can go higher...I think 92 minimum or I would have returned it when I first bought it given I read the instructions completely at the time. Unfortunately, I didnt' test then as well. It's past the 30 days, so I don't know if it can be returned.

David,

I would contact fluval then. I wouldn't let an expensive heater like that fail and not take action.

Best wishes!

David Rose
10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm sure I still have the paperwork that came with. I would think there is a warranty and it's definitely worth contacting Fluval.

Chad Hughes
10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm sure I still have the paperwork that came with. I would think there is a warranty and it's definitely worth contacting Fluval.

Definately! Even if you don't have the original box or paperwork, a receipt or credit card statement should sufice. I would think they would replace it for you.

Hope it all works out for you!

Eddie
10-14-2009, 05:32 PM
David, how are your discus getting burnt by the Jagers? There tons of people using jagers and nobody has ever reported or mentioned their fish getting burned. :confused:

Eddie