PDA

View Full Version : Filters for breeding tank

poconoboss
10-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I see that most everybody uses sponge filters for breeding tanks for obvious reasons. But what I don't like about them is that every time I try to lift them out to clean them, all the debris falls off into the tank. I have tried siphoning them off, but that is a lot of work.

So why can't a conventional filter (whether canister or hang-on) be used so long as you wrap the intake nozzle with foam/sponge to avoid the fry from being sucked up?

mmorris
10-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Both work fine. I slip a nylon stocking over the intake.

poconoboss
10-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Both work fine. I slip a nylon stocking over the intake.

I assume it "should" be ok with a cover over the intake, but there must be a reason why most breeders do not opt for this option as they seem to all use sponge filters.

It is possibly a cost issue since most breeders have many tanks?

mmorris
10-17-2009, 03:31 PM
I couldn't tell you for sure, but people who have their tanks concentrated in a fish room can utilize one air pump to power all of the sponge filters. HOBs and canisters need an electrical outlet each. With the wc's that we do, we don't need expensive filtration on breeding tanks. My tanks are all over the place so I can't use one pump. I use a mix of filtration types, including canisters on my 55 grow-outs and display tank and sponges in my 29s. I have a basement full of hob parts and when I have new fry, sometimes I hook up an hob and put the sponge into it after attachment so the fry aren't distracted by the sponge in the tank.