PDA

View Full Version : Tensed discus

smiley
10-18-2009, 07:54 AM
One of my discus (nearly 4 inches) acts quite differently (or tensed should i say) especially when it watches another Domestic brown discus coming towards it. The vertical lines becomes very dark and thus prominent. When this fish is behind the driftwood or sometimes when the DB is turned its face the other way, it is very normal and the vertical lines disappear immediately. The domestic brown is also of the same size. There is no eating or other issues with both. They have been in the same tank for more thank 3 months now.

Should i just ignore it considering it as a pecking order or should i move it out to a separate tank?

tcyiu
10-18-2009, 12:24 PM
One of my discus (nearly 4 inches) acts quite differently (or tensed should i say) especially when it watches another Domestic brown discus coming towards it. The vertical lines becomes very dark and thus prominent. When this fish is behind the driftwood or sometimes when the DB is turned its face the other way, it is very normal and the vertical lines disappear immediately. The domestic brown is also of the same size. There is no eating or other issues with both. They have been in the same tank for more thank 3 months now.

Should i just ignore it considering it as a pecking order or should i move it out to a separate tank?

Sounds like normal pecking order behaviour. The weaker fish will signal subordination to the stronger fish to avoid a fight. It will still get thrashed once in a while.

What you described sounds fine. If it is so stressed, that it goes dark all the time and will not eat - then you should start to worry. BTW, how many fish in the school? Are there other low ranking fish to share in the harassment?

In my limited experience, moving discus out to hospital tanks also stress them out. Seems like that as a schooling fish, they take greater comfort in being in a school even when they are getting beat up. Strange.

Tim

smiley
10-18-2009, 01:15 PM
He aint dark the whole time(he eats perfectly) and there are 2 other 2inches fishes but the domestic brown dont follow them or harass them at all nor does it go behind the other 2 fishes of its own size (school of 6)

DB is one of the most peaceful of the lot until i had introduced this new fish 3 months back along with another Blue.Maybe he doesnt like the red colour ( bull'ish type :D )

tcyiu
10-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Cool. Sounds like you have a school of different sizes. Just let them work it out. As long as he is eating and NOT always dark, I think it's OK.

Good luck.

Tim