PDA

View Full Version : Effective Simple Way to ensure pH stability for your Discus

Gzackz
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi guys,

Having problems with fluctuating or high pH and hardness levels from municipal water?

Try this effective but simple method.

We all know that water softness and relatively lower pH is extremely essential to our discus fish's survival and subsequent vitality.

But rest assured, sometimes the solution can be really easy.

i've been using this system for years.

It's really simple and straight forward.

What you'll need :

At least 2 tier tanks
Peat moss
Hand pump
Fish Net
Nitrifying Bacteria (can be purchased from shops)

I think u guys get the picture already.

The idea is to perform your daily water changes with the water with peat moss that is above your discus tank.

Ensure peat moss is placed in top tier above tank where your discus is.
Leave it bubbling overnight. Just an air pump attached to an air stone placed at the bottom would do.
Bubbling is to also ensure that your water is well-circulated so the peat moss can be mixed into the water well. It is also to ensure no mosquitoes breed.

Basically to be more specific,

Drain water from discus tank.
As water reaches bottom, probably about 1-2inches of water height, start refilling the water with the peat moss water from the top tier tank.
The idea is to continuously drain and refill the tank so that your tank is more than 100% changed.
If possible slowly fill up water in the top tank as well, don't forget to add your anti-chlorine BEFORE you start filling it with municipal water. The speed that you fill up your peat moss tank should be slightly slower than the speed you're filling up your discus fish tank.
Once you feel that it's clean enough, stop draining and just refill water to desired height in your discus fish tank.

Easy?

But take note!

This method works in Singapore as i'm staying here.
So i can't truly verify its effectiveness in climates where there's four seasons.
Theoretically, it should work as well....
I forsee that in winter/colder weathers, jus ensure that both the peat moss tank and discus fish tanks have thermometers that are in symmetrically similar temperatures.

Essentially, it's quite fool-proof as both top and bottom tanks would have exactly the same pH and softness.
So it's a HUGE problem solved.

Eddie
10-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Essentially it is just aging water and using peat to treat it. Never needed to use peat but cool write-up.

Take care,

Eddie