PDA

View Full Version : De-worming tanks for the first time...something

silent_thunder
10-21-2009, 02:24 PM
I have never done.

I read where others do it every few months just to be safe...

That being said I have flake food with fenbendazole in it.
Now...it says to treat for 5 days...is that all I should feed the discus? They gobble it up...one thing going right for a change :D

Thanks for any help...

ROXANNE...where ya been...:bandana:

D

Eddie
10-21-2009, 06:09 PM
I have never done.

I read where others do it every few months just to be safe...

That being said I have flake food with fenbendazole in it.
Now...it says to treat for 5 days...is that all I should feed the discus? They gobble it up...one thing going right for a change :D

Thanks for any help...

ROXANNE...where ya been...:bandana:

D

Hey D, is it from Angel Plus? If so, they say feed only the flake every other day for a total of 10 days which is a total of 5 feeds but I just feed them the flake twice a day for 3-4 days.

Eddie

silent_thunder
10-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey D, is it from Angel Plus? If so, they say feed only the flake every other day for a total of 10 days which is a total of 5 feeds but I just feed them the flake twice a day for 3-4 days.

Eddie

yes its from Angel Plus...
I wonder if its a different flake anyways...
So just feed the flaKE only for 3 or 4 days Eddie or can I add some BW or your mix or another meat mix from Hans?

As always I am gonna OWE you many drinks in Dallas...hopefully you dont drink alot LOL

Thanks alot Eddie

D

Eddie
10-21-2009, 06:14 PM
yes its from Angel Plus...
I wonder if its a different flake anyways...
So just feed the flaKE only for 3 or 4 days Eddie or can I add some BW or your mix or another meat mix from Hans?

As always I am gonna OWE you many drinks in Dallas...hopefully you dont drink alot LOL

Thanks alot Eddie

D

LOL, not too much alcohol but yes...I do.

Feed ONLY the flake, nothing else.

Eddie

silent_thunder
10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
OK flake only...Thanks

Well THEN I will buy ya a nice dinner...though plans have changed I won`t be living there I will be at the show! SO plan on a dinner on me please...

D

Eddie
10-21-2009, 07:37 PM
OK flake only...Thanks

Well THEN I will buy ya a nice dinner...though plans have changed I won`t be living there I will be at the show! SO plan on a dinner on me please...

D

LOL, I think dinner is provided right? :o Its all good D!

Eddie

bettebulldog
10-21-2009, 09:05 PM
I found this and it seems like you can treat the water if they dont eat

Flubendazole is a compound belonging to a group of chemical compounds which are effective in controlling
intestinal parasites like round worms, tape worms and pin worms, etc. These compounds are NOT antibiotics.
They do not control bacteria or fungal infections and in fact may escalate these problems as they kill off the
other infections. This compound is not the cure all.
Flubendazole is useful for controlling intestinal parasites. These parasites include most of the nematodes, fl ukes
and protozoa. Flubendazole is active through adsorption into the fi sh skin and gills. The drug does not have to
be eaten to be effective. This makes the drug useful for treating fi shes which have quit eating due to irritation
from infection.
Effective treatment can be achieved with a dose of 1/2 gram per 5 gallons of treated water. A much higher
economical treatment can be achieved by removing half of the water in the treated tank as long as the usual
aeration and mixing can be maintained.
First things fi rst, the tank water should be changed. It is not necessary to clean the tank, just change the water,
all of it. After treatment, change it again. The bodies of the dead animals need to be removed. Also, it is best to
have live wiggling or jumping food in front of the patients as they recover so have live baby brine shrimp or
worms ready for the treated fi shes.
Add 1/4 teaspoon of the medication for each 5 gallons of tank water. It may fl oat for a while, but it needs to be
mixed into the tank water, swirl it in to dissolve. Hydra, Ick and Velvet take three days to remove. Heximeta
may take three doses to remove completely over fi ve to seven days to complete. Three days after the fi rst
treatment change the water again. Add another dose of 1/4 teaspoon/5 gal. to the fresh water. Change the water
a second time after 5 to 7 days.
This should take care of everything. A third dose after three or four weeks will insure the treatment, but usually
isnʼt necessary unless symptoms reappear.
Charles H. Harrison, Ph. D.
319 Martigney Dr.
Mehlville, MO

does this stuff do the same thing or completely different?

Eddie
10-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Right but I think D is referring to Fenbendazole, not Flubendazole.....

I know you can use Fenbendazole in the water but I have heard negative effects on discus, so should be avoided.

Eddie

bettebulldog
10-21-2009, 09:55 PM
yes i am was aware of the op. dont know of the negative effects but i thought they do the same thing.

Eddie
10-21-2009, 10:01 PM
yes i am was aware of the op. dont know of the negative effects but i thought they do the same thing.

Could do the same thing, flubendazole has had some negative effects also.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=40470&highlight=Flubendazole

Eddie

jaykne
10-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Hey Eddie, do you de-worm your fish on a regular basis, and if so have you ever had any negative side affects? I was talking to someone from Angel Plus and he told me I should only use it if I have reason to believe they have worms so I just have it in the freezer in case I need it but was wondering if I should use it just to prevent once in a while. Larry

Eddie
10-22-2009, 03:33 AM
Hey Eddie, do you de-worm your fish on a regular basis, and if so have you ever had any negative side affects? I was talking to someone from Angel Plus and he told me I should only use it if I have reason to believe they have worms so I just have it in the freezer in case I need it but was wondering if I should use it just to prevent once in a while. Larry

Yes Larry, I do it every 2-3 months with young juvies until they are adults. Different strokes for different folks. ;) A "reputable" breeder recommended routine worming and I have (well...my fish) have never experienced any negative issues with it.

Eddie

mmorris
10-22-2009, 01:09 PM
I recommend fenbendazole in the water, rather than the food, because you cannot monitor how much the fish actually injests of the food. You want to be sure all fish receive a therapeutic dose. If fish are wormed, they should be wormed again two to three weeks later and then they shouldn't need to be wormed again unless new fish have been introduced or food cultivated in the wild is used. If worms are not reintroduced into the tank then I see no reason to worm further.

Cooldadddyfunk286
10-22-2009, 02:56 PM
quick ?....I havnt been keeping my angels plus flakes in the freezer...Eddie, you remember how long ago I got them...when my LSS got sick...hasnt been TOO long, few months. think they have gone bad?! theres no room for all my bags of flakes in the freezer!!!!! :(

rickztahone
10-22-2009, 03:14 PM
quick ?....I havnt been keeping my angels plus flakes in the freezer...Eddie, you remember how long ago I got them...when my LSS got sick...hasnt been TOO long, few months. think they have gone bad?! theres no room for all my bags of flakes in the freezer!!!!! :(

they should fine, don't worry

Eddie
10-22-2009, 08:15 PM
they should fine, don't worry

ditto