PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog strains

seanyuki
10-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Just want to learn more......bulldog & standing egg discus are they the same?....please share your experience:)

Eddie
10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
To be honest Francis, I despise bulldog discus with an extreme passion. But I do however like an extreme high body (standing egg) discus that has the correct eye to body size ratio. Actually, my favorite fish of all time is in post #4. This fish has well above the 7 eye rule and the color is UNREAL!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=44156

Most bulldogs just look like a stunted, extreme high body fish since the eyes are way too large.

Eddie

scottthomas
10-22-2009, 09:15 PM
I too dislike the bulldog strain. Just looks deformed IMO. However, I dont really care for the extreme high bodied "standing egg" like you posted above Eddie. I find that fish to be similar to bulldog. Sorry just my personal taste. Who knows. One day I might decide to like those strains. I used to not care for any of the high body but they are growing on me I guess since I own a few that are slightly HB. The classic round discus is still the best IMO.

Eddie
10-22-2009, 09:56 PM
No worries Scott! We all have different tastes, I too like round discus but the high body types are very regal for me. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

Discus-n00b
10-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I too, despise bulldogs lol. I think of bulldog and standing egg a bit different. And there are 2 types of bulldogs IMO, deformed and just a slight form. Standing egg isn't as extreme, bulldogs just looked crushed and deformed to my eyes. Xiaofei (vss) has some nice higher body fish. Especially his blue scorpion and carnation turq. Perfect amount for me, anything beyond that would just turn me away. If it looks like the fish has a nuchal hump or a huge brain, then its to bulldogged for me.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=73101

I, like Eddie, like some high body to the fish...gives it that regalness he was talking about.

April
10-23-2009, 01:07 AM
bulldogs look deviated. almost a dishshaped forhead..concave..wierd body with bent spine
standing egg is high fin and high body. thats my take..

hedut
10-23-2009, 04:52 AM
I like bulldogs and hi body round but not football and regular form :). Hendri

scottthomas
10-23-2009, 05:22 PM
yes I have a few footballs that I admit I would trade any day for a nice high bodied fish.:o

Jhhnn
10-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Bulldogs in general turn me off... I feel the same way about some hi-fins, too.

I see it as a question of balance, of proportion. I do like the semi- high body bred into many domestic strains- it enhances the natural beauty and general impression of roundness, which is what makes discus so striking. When it's too much, it's too much. Once the proportions of, say, Altum Florum are exceeded, I don't like 'em any more... they look like caricatures, cartoons.

That's just me. My tastes in discus are pretty old skool, conservative I guess, even my current liking for snakeskins. They still appear as natural, or nearly so, even though I realize they're the product of mutation and selective breeding...

bs6749
10-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't like bulldogs either as they do tend to look stunted. I'm more a fan of a nice round shaped fish with a high dorsal fin, but everything has to be in proportion. Bulldogs look very disproportionate to me and that's one reason I don't like them.

I don't like high fins nor long fins on any other fish out there. In my opinion it makes fish look very unappealing.

moik
10-25-2009, 02:42 PM
I for one LOVE the Bulldog strains...Excluding the real extreme heart shaped ones,but all the other body types are just perfect in my eyes..Wish there were more avaliable here in the USA..

Jhhnn
10-25-2009, 03:00 PM
I for one LOVE the Bulldog strains...Excluding the real extreme heart shaped ones,but all the other body types are just perfect in my eyes..Wish there were more avaliable here in the USA..

Kenny will bring 'em in for you, I suspect. Give him a call, see what you can work out...

hedut
10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Kenny will bring 'em in for you, I suspect. Give him a call, see what you can work out...

I did call Him and ask him, Forrest don't have many Bulldogs, only CP and BD both are already common in States. something full reds:D:D:D

Jhhnn
10-26-2009, 08:29 AM
DiscusGeo breeds bulldog leopards, iirc...

John_Nicholson
10-26-2009, 04:51 PM
I have bulldogs that show up in spawns from time to time....I cull them like all low quality discus....LOL.

-john

terps
10-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I agree with John. Bulldog discus are rejects. I wouldn't even buy them with counterfeit money. :D

moik
10-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Since so many people dislike Bulldog discus then I would like to see the perfect discus that people are spending so much time and money on, also trying to make Bulldog discus look so inferior..Many high body and standing egg strasins of discus would not be what they are without the Bulldog crossed into the line..Pictures/proof speak more loudly than words at this point..IMO..Can not wait to see these discus that are so worth the time and money..

jrodriguez
10-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Dan Espinosa is a great guy and has many discus fir sale . He is also a sponsor of simply discus.
Breeder and US Representative of Wayne Ng Discus

Email: dan@eliteaquaria.com
Home: (954) 385-9106
Cell: (954) 592-3020

hedut
10-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Dan Espinosa is a great guy and has many discus fir sale . He is also a sponsor of simply discus.
Breeder and US Representative of Wayne Ng Discus

Email: dan@eliteaquaria.com
Home: (954) 385-9106
Cell: (954) 592-3020

Dude, It's about Bulldogs:). Dan don sale any Bulldogs

John_Nicholson
10-26-2009, 05:54 PM
I realize it is about bulldog discus and not bulldogs..Hell I love bulldogs. I have raised and used many of them though the years. Currently I am down to only one old pit.

-john

hedut
10-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I realize it is about bulldog discus and not bulldogs..Hell I love bulldogs. I have raised and used many of them though the years. Currently I am down to only one old pit.

-john

Pic of your bulldogs please? post here http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=581271#post581271

John_Nicholson
10-27-2009, 01:19 PM
LOL...My bulldogs have teeth and hair.

-john

rickztahone
10-27-2009, 01:43 PM
LOL...My bulldogs have teeth and hair.

-john

LMAO

Jhhnn
10-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Apparently some people have much stronger feelings on the subject than I...

Some people love fancy goldfish that I personally find hideous... that's OK by me, but I don't want any of those, either...

I'm not sure Moik's remarks wrt bulldogs and high bodied strains are correct. High bodied strains have been sought and around for a very long time, relatively speaking. I rather suspect that bulldogs are the most extreme examples of those efforts, rather than vice-versa...