PDA

View Full Version : Discus Novice

thegatti
10-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi, my name is Lieren and I'm new to this forum and to Discus. I went to a pet shop and saw the most colourful Discus I have ever seen! I was hooked.
They were quite expensive though, so I went to another LFS and bought two small discus. they are blue and red patterned- one with squggles and the smaller one has red spots.

I expected them to be shy being new to my tank, but the smaller one constantly hides. My bigger guy stays with him most of the time but does come out by himself every now and then.

I have driftwood and gravel as my main decor. The temp is 80-82 degrees F.

When I feed the fish, my clown loaches are the first ones to grab the food. Could that be a reason they feel shy?

Peachtree Discus
10-28-2009, 07:01 PM
hi Lieren, 1st of all....welcome to :balloon::D:balloon:Simply:balloon::D:balloon:

i believe they are shy because they are new to the environment and in there are only 2 of them. Discus tend to do better in groups. I'm not sure how many in nature, but you should have at least (IMO) 5 or 6. although i think juvelines eat better in groups of 10+. regardless, if they are younger fish, they will need proper feeding.

the loaches are probably not making them shy, but definitely they are stealing the food that they need to grow out to nice size fish. the driftwood is probably affecting their "shyness" - if they have a place to hide, they will.

Cakes
10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
This is a double post, look here for the other thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=74621