PDA

View Full Version : Marc Weiss's Keta peat nuggets, discontinued?

vss
10-25-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm placing an order for some fish supply now, and I want to get some Keta peat nuggets as water softener and breeding inducer. I just checked several pet supply online stores, but all of them said it is out of stock.:( Does anyone know if there is any place I can get it now? or this product is discontinued forever? Is there any other products that work as good as the Keta peat nuggets? Thanks!:D

-Xiaofei:)

philip69285
10-25-2009, 12:57 AM
I believe all peat granuales have been discountinued forever... I have about 3 or 4 bottles of that stuff from an order I did a while ago and have found it last FOREVER lol. My friend was lucky and found a bottle at a local pet store for 10.99. So maybe check local pet stores with very old stock... fluval use to make some as well... not the best quality but it works :). Other then that it will be sold out everywhere... sorry to say.

vss
10-25-2009, 02:56 AM
I believe all peat granuales have been discountinued forever... I have about 3 or 4 bottles of that stuff from an order I did a while ago and have found it last FOREVER lol. My friend was lucky and found a bottle at a local pet store for 10.99. So maybe check local pet stores with very old stock... fluval use to make some as well... not the best quality but it works :). Other then that it will be sold out everywhere... sorry to say.

Thanks Phil for letting me know...that's sad...:( no wonder I can't find Sera's peat either...why are all peat granuales discontinued?:confused:

By the way, I found that I can get peat moss from my local hardware store. Do you think if the peat moss can be used in the same way or not? Thanks!

Eddie
10-25-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks Phil for letting me know...that's sad...:( no wonder I can't find Sera's peat either...why are all peat granuales discontinued?:confused:

By the way, I found that I can get peat moss from my local hardware store. Do you think if the peat moss can be used in the same way or not? Thanks!

Some can Xiaofei but it needs to be free of fertilizers. Have you thought of using Laguna Peat Granules? Good amount for a decent price, plus you can go through the link here on Simply to help support the forum. ;)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10804&cmpid=11csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0015997000000

Eddie

vss
10-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Some can Xiaofei but it needs to be free of fertilizers. Have you thought of using Laguna Peat Granules? Good amount for a decent price, plus you can go through the link here on Simply to help support the forum. ;)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10804&cmpid=11csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0015997000000

Eddie

Thanks Eddie! It looks good to me. Plus the Doc. F&S offers the shipping special right now. Perfect for buying heavy stuff like this. :D

Eddie
10-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks Eddie! It looks good to me. Plus the Doc. F&S offers the shipping special right now. Perfect for buying heavy stuff like this. :D

Happy to Help my friend!

Take care,

Eddie

seanyuki
10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Hi Xiaofei.....I saw Sunrise Tropical selling the German Peat Granules.
Here's the link.:)

http://www.sunrisetropicals.com/id15.html

vss
10-27-2009, 03:20 AM
Hi Xiaofei.....I saw Sunrise Tropical selling the German Peat Granules.
Here's the link.:)

http://www.sunrisetropicals.com/id15.html

Thanks Francis! Next time I'll go with SRT:)

prolude006
10-27-2009, 06:41 AM
plus you can find a 5.00 off code online for DR fsmith so shipping is .99 for anything you want right now!! Great deal.

vss
10-29-2009, 03:40 AM
plus you can find a 5.00 off code online for DR fsmith so shipping is .99 for anything you want right now!! Great deal.

Thanks prolude! Wish I had read your reply before I placed the order:o Still it's a good deal, ordered on Monday and delivered on Tuesday, sounds like a overnight shipping:D

-Xiaofei

mjs020294
03-31-2010, 05:06 PM
I bought some of this product from a local fish farm supplier today. They had a lot of it in stock.

simpleton
04-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi all, When I first started with Discus I applied my life phylsophy to them in short, NEVER buy the brand names! As far as peat, I took Jim Quarles advice and went to the garden center. I bought a BIG cube of peat, a couple of cubic feet (comressed) currently around $12.00 ONE WITH NO FERTILIZER added. My favorite brand was Lambert's.

I have used three different brand so far and never had a problem! ALL of them have said "Canadian" peat as the source. I use a six by twelve media bag (200 microns) If you can find one. Currently using a 800 micron. I fill it half way, RINSE it first to remove (most of) the powdery stuff and tie it off and set it in a 55 gallon RO storage barrel.

The bag will float for four or five days then sink. I tie it off with a "leash" so it only goes to withen a foot of the bottom. Have a power head and heater on ALL the time. This will set the PH between 4.5 and 6. ( I keep my Discus at 4.9 to 5.5!) My Heckles are at 3.9 to 4.4. I replace the peat about every four to 5 weeks.

My tank water has a "Amazon" color! coooool! To increase the PPM's to 60,
(40 for the Heckles) I add SEA SALT, to th 55 gallon drum, about 1/2 teaspoon. My source water from the (surface) well is 235PPM's and 7.9 to 8.4PH.

I also buy my Diatom Powder from a swimming pool supply house! $18.00 FOR TWENTY POUNDS!

Russ

mjs020294
04-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi all, When I first started with Discus I applied my life phylsophy to them in short, NEVER buy the brand names! As far as peat, I took Jim Quarles advice and went to the garden center. I bought a BIG cube of peat, a couple of cubic feet (comressed) currently around $12.00 ONE WITH NO FERTILIZER added. My favorite brand was Lambert's.

LOL.....that make me smile, sorry :D

I hear you though, I have used peat moss from the garden center. The Marc Weiss's Peat Nuggets are exceptionally good but they have been discontinued because the suppliers in Asia have tripled the price of the raw materials. I live close to the Florida Fish Farmers Co-Op store and they had 17 containers left. They let me have them for $5 a unit, so I have well over a years supply.

mjs020294
04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I got a bag of Lamberts peat moss from Home Depot yesterday. Its only $9 for a huge bail of compressed peat. I am mixing it with the Marc Weis Nuggets and some Canadian Sphagnum Peat Mos.

My water parameters in the WC bin are now as follows:

PH – 7.0 down from 7.8
KH – 6 down from 7
GH – 11 – down from 15

That is using a small amount of peat and no air. Adding air bumps the PH by about 0.3, so if I add a little more peat to compensate I can maintain 7.0 fairly easily. The water is very slightly colored from the WC bin but the filters clean it up after a couple of hours.

The fish love it. Some are playing in the inbound water and the Discus are out close to the hose well before the WC is complete. My son is using it in his Ram tank and they love it as well. I reckon I can treat about 1,000 gallons ( a month’s WC) for around $6-7.

vss
04-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I bought some of this product from a local fish farm supplier today. They had a lot of it in stock.

I ordered last friday, thought I could get the last five bottle left in stock...and you know what...on Monday I got a phone call from Steve that all of them were wrapped by a local customer before he saw my online order...:waaa::waaa::waaa: I guess I'm gonna miss this product forever:(...

-Xiaofei