PDA

View Full Version : Problems with water clarity....

silent_thunder
10-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I use an HOB as well as 2 sponge filters in both 55 gallon tanks...

I feed alot as well as do daily water changes. It just seems like the water is never crystal clear...

I clean the HOB and only run ceramic substrate and floss but as of yet I have never rinsed the sponges,etc...

Once again...a delimna I have no idea how to fix:D

Theres just something about a tank with crystal clear water...

Any ideas are appreciated...

D

Cooldadddyfunk286
10-25-2009, 05:37 PM
same here man, one of my tanks has been cloudy for no reason. not dirty, tested the water, everything is cool. if anything iv been feeding less the last few days. I just dont get it lol. Im blaming it on lack of a sponge filter in there anymore, but there hasnt been one in there for a looooong time, and its usually been clear as can be.

Jhhnn
10-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Cloudiness, whitish colored water, is usually caused by bacterial bloom, indicating high organic content. If it's greenish, then it's an algae bloom, same basic cause. It'll usually go away, except then you'll have high nitrates... changing more water/ feeding less is the recommended remedy.

Small visible floaty bits are a different matter, and are almost impossible to eliminate in a heavily fed tank of young discus, at least in my limited experience...

tcyiu
10-27-2009, 08:30 PM
I agree with Jhhnn. Try adding more media surface area. I had a recurring bacteria bloom situation until I added driftwood and ceramic rings. Apparently, the floss I was using did not give the bacteria enough of a hold, so they were free floating.

Tim

lkevin
10-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I use an HOB as well as 2 sponge filters in both 55 gallon tanks...

I feed alot as well as do daily water changes. It just seems like the water is never crystal clear...

I clean the HOB and only run ceramic substrate and floss but as of yet I have never rinsed the sponges,etc...

Once again...a delimna I have no idea how to fix:D

Theres just something about a tank with crystal clear water...

Any ideas are appreciated...

D

Try throwing a sponge in the HOB (like those in the aquaclears) and rinsing what you have in there (tank water, of course). If you are doing daily wc's it shouldn't be a problem, but this might help.

tdiscusman
11-01-2009, 12:53 PM
I was having same situation few weeks back. My problem was that I do water change straight from tap (50%+) and add chlorine remover directly to the tank. I didn't turn off the HOB filter during the WC and the chlorine from tap were killing off the bacteria in the HOB filter. After I turned off my HOB filter during and waited 15min after WC before turning filter back on, it fixed my problem.

Tony Nguyen

rickztahone
11-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Small visible floaty bits are a different matter, and are almost impossible to eliminate in a heavily fed tank of young discus, at least in my limited experience...

i hate those small little particles! i'm glad i'm not the only one. even when i do 100% WC on the weekends it's still there.

tcyiu
11-01-2009, 02:16 PM
I was having same situation few weeks back. My problem was that I do water change straight from tap (50%+) and add chlorine remover directly to the tank. I didn't turn off the HOB filter during the WC and the chlorine from tap were killing off the bacteria in the HOB filter. After I turned off my HOB filter during and waited 15min after WC before turning filter back on, it fixed my problem.

Tony Nguyen

Tony, great detective work! It makes sense that chlorinated tap would harm the media. Temporarily stopping the filter is a great solution.

Ricardo, if the floaties really bother you, get a DE filter to "polish" the water. I do it during the once-every-couple-of-months deep-cleaning of my sand substrate. Coupled with a micron filter and DE powder, it's worked out for me.

Tim

rickztahone
11-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Tony, great detective work! It makes sense that chlorinated tap would harm the media. Temporarily stopping the filter is a great solution.

Ricardo, if the floaties really bother you, get a DE filter to "polish" the water. I do it during the once-every-couple-of-months deep-cleaning of my sand substrate. Coupled with a micron filter and DE powder, it's worked out for me.

Tim

i will definitely look into that Tim, thank you for the tip

fishorama
11-01-2009, 05:54 PM
I noticed more floaty bits after I removed the floss from the HOBs. I may try a quick filter attachment to a powerhead if it isn't too much current. I think mine is mainly due to beefheart & not netting the prefilters when I remove them for rinsing.

tcyiu
11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
i will definitely look into that Tim, thank you for the tip

Cool. And don't expect a miracle cure. I leave the DE filter running over night. And then the water is really clear. But within a day or so, it goes back to normal which is pretty clear, but some floaties.

My main purpose is to get the gunk out of the substrate.

Tim