PDA

View Full Version : Right Size Tank

BobB
10-25-2009, 08:34 PM
My question is what size tank would I need for 4 or 5 discus. I have a 36x18 stand already.
I was thinking along the lines of the Oceanic line Illuminata tank (frameless tank) thoughts Plz!

Jhhnn
10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Those rimless tanks are beauties, no doubt.

OTOH, I don't understand how they'd be compatible with lids... maybe they are, dunno. I definitely want glass tops on my tanks to control evaporation and keep the fish in. Mine have bounced off the top of the tank when they get to chasing each other around...

I'd be nervous about the exposed glass rim, too, maybe unnecessarily so.

Other than that, the 57gal size would be big enough for 5 adults, if just barely. The general concensus is that discus do best in groups of 5 or more, with at least 10gal/ fish. It'd be nice spacious digs for a well mated pair, too...

If you're raising juveniles, then the whole point of a beautiful tank kinda goes out the window because that's usually done in bare bottom tanks. Juvies need a lot of food to grow out properly, and consequently a lot of maintenance and water changes- much easier in bare tanks. Some people do it OK in planted tanks, but usually in very large ones w/ relatively few discus...

If it were me, I'd probably go with a 70tall tank, 36Wx18Dx25T for the extra volume, stick with 5 discus because of the relatively small footprint... best to be conservative. Be warned that if they pair up, there'll be a lot of strife in a tank w/ that small of a footprint... or forget the stand, go with a standard 75gal- 48Wx18Dx22T. It's a nice size for discus...