PDA

View Full Version : Late pattern development?

addsomecolor
10-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering about a little LFS guy that i brought (it was my first discus). It was sold to me as a blue turquoise. I've had it for about 2.5 months now, growing from about 1.75 to 3 inches.
Here is my question. I brought it with very clear. bright red and blue striations on its bottom fin. It didnt have anything on its body and less clearly defined striations on its top fin. In this time, it has gotten some blue at the top and bottom of its body.
When/ Will it every develop the color and pattern i see on adult turquoise discus?

thnx

William Palumbo
10-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Seems to me that at 3 inches, it should be showing more color than you describe...IF...it is a Turk. Buying from LFS can be risky at best. Maybe you have a young Brown or Blue Discus. My homegrown Turks show pattern and color at quarter size. A pic would help...Bill

dwilder
10-25-2009, 09:43 PM
i have some turqs that didnt show full color until almost a year

rickztahone
10-25-2009, 09:48 PM
i had a turk that as an adult only showed striations on the forehead and anal fin. this was due to weak genes and the discus never achieved full pattern due to genetics.

addsomecolor
10-25-2009, 09:50 PM
heres a pic for the little guy, sorry for the quality

rickztahone
10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
heres a pic for the little guy, sorry for the quality

i've seen young ones at that size that do not show pattern but then again i have also seen some with way more pattern at that size. i'm not really sure if that helps or not but again, it might due with the genetics of the fish and the breeding program it came from. do you have pics of the parents?

addsomecolor
10-25-2009, 09:56 PM
i haven't seen its parents before. It was simply a little LFS guy with a lot of personality :D
i had a feeling that it might be some sort of cross? i guess i'll just have to wait to see what it grows into

rickztahone
10-25-2009, 09:59 PM
i haven't seen its parents before. It was simply a little LFS guy with a lot of personality :D
i had a feeling that it might be some sort of cross? i guess i'll just have to wait to see what it grows into

definitely a waiting game

kaceyo
10-26-2009, 03:26 PM
The speed at which the color comes out depends on the lines it was bred from. As already mentioned, some color up fairly young and some only start to color up around 6 to 9 months. This is where patience comes in. ;)

Kacey

Jhhnn
10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
The speed at which the color comes out depends on the lines it was bred from. As already mentioned, some color up fairly young and some only start to color up around 6 to 9 months. This is where patience comes in. ;)

Kacey

Yup. Something to keep in mind is that some lines throw a fair number of partially- striated fish that look like wild blues... Breeders know their own lines. They can tell things about their young fish that the rest of us can only guess, so they'll wholesale those out. It's how the fish find their way to LFS...