PDA

View Full Version : Kids have the flu ...

brewmaster15
10-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Well The flu has hit here in CT pretty hard....Both my kids have it and its most likely H1N1.. The state health dept out here told our Docs Office that there haven't been any cases here of the regular flu yet, but many confirmed H1N1 :(...Doctors here in CT are being told to just assume H1N1 now.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/updates/us/

Really pissed off about this too as we wanted to vaccinate our kids but no vaccines are availible.......I guess we were supposed to get something like 500,000 doses and they have only sent 1/5th of it... Now we have kids dropping like flies in our schools...and some schools in the area have been closing...one school out here had 42 % of the students out one day( I think there was a social event/dance that preceded it)...my kids school system had 71 kids out sick yesterday at least half had flu symptoms(my daughter was one. and my sons got it as of last night)..The pediatricians out here don't even want you to bring your kids in unless they are really bad off...worries about spreading it worse I guess.

Looks like its Doctor Daddy for the next few days.:(:(:(

-al

Eddie
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Damn Al, I am very sorry to hear the news. Hoping everything is alright.

H1N1 is full blown over here in Okinawa. One of the wife's friends kids picked it up last month, the doctors missed it completely. They got over it on their own.

All the best and wishing for them to get well soon.

Eddie

smiley
10-27-2009, 07:37 AM
sad to hear Al.Hope everything goes on well..

Take care of yourself and your kids...Hope they get well soon

Elite Aquaria
10-27-2009, 07:40 AM
They need to take Tamiflu now...Mine had it and he recovered in a few days but man the fever went up to 105.

brewmaster15
10-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks Guys.

They need to take Tamiflu now...Mine had it and he recovered in a few days but man the fever went up to 105.

Dan,
Unfortunately , Tamiflu is in short supply too...They are only giving it to those in critical need or at the highest risk now...Hopefully with lots of bed rest , tylenol and ibuprofen, and of course chicken soup...we won't get to that point......

I have a feeling as the season progresses this one is going to really get bad.

take care,
al

forrest
10-27-2009, 08:11 AM
hi Al,
sorry to hear the news. Hoping everything is fine n getting better with your family.

best rgds,
forrest.

Larry Bugg
10-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Sorry to hear! My wife had the H1N1 about 2 weeks ago. Man was it rough. Really sick for a few days but took nearly a week to really get over it. My son caught the flu about 4 days after her but it wasn't confirmed as H1N1.

Disgirl
10-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Sorry to hear Al! But just to make you feel a bit better, my husband had it 2 weeks ago, fever, nausea, aches. Only H1N1 here now, no regular flu yet we are told. But he was well in about 5 days and I never caught it from him! Hope they get well fast and you don't get it either.
Barb

seanyuki
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Sorry Al to hear about the bad news....hope the kids have a speedy recovery.

Discus-n00b
10-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Best wishes to your kids for a speedy recovery Al.

Chad Hughes
10-27-2009, 11:20 AM
My thoughts are with you and your family Al. This too shall pass, hopefully sooner than later.

All the best!

ashaysathe
10-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Take care buddy. A middle school in Middletown is also shutdown for a week.
I hope kids feel better. Good Luck

Big Tuck
10-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi All,so sorry to hear your kids are sick,but kids are normally tough im sure they will kick it.I have isolated myself because of my age and no vacine here in Ca.My prayers are with your family. Tuck

snoopy65
10-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I am with you on this one....my 4 year old woke up with it this morning (Doc's office said don't come in, keep at home until no fever for 24 hours without meds). My 8 year old has not gotten it yet, but I am sure she is next.

calihawker
10-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hear about the kids Al.:o
My wife and son went to get the vaccine, they aren't giving it to anyone that walks in but my son is considered high risk since he is asthmatic.

Hope they get well soon!

roclement
10-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Al,

Hang in there bud! I am home sick as well, hope the kids feel better!

Rodrigo

Ed13
10-27-2009, 07:24 PM
So sorry to hear about the kids Al (and all those that have gone through this). Whish them a speedy recovery!

Scribbles
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Sorry to hear that your kids are sick Al. I hope that they feel well soon. It's hit my area pretty hard and some schools were closed for a week or so. On the news they showed people lined up for hours to get the vaccine but doses are limited. Hang in there.

Chris

GrillMaster
10-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Hope Ethan an Becky get better soon Al!!

I too believe it will get worse before it gets better. :(

Moon
10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Keep a close watch on them. It can get serious.
Good luck Al
Joe

Ardan
10-30-2009, 05:56 AM
Al,
Sorry to hear your kids are sick, I hope they get better soon!

I think they are trying to figure out a new way to make vaccine as the egg way is slow......
I think they need the help a smart biologist:D

Ardan

brewmaster15
10-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks Everyone. Kids are on the mend finally.Last night was the first full nights sleep for any of us since Sunday..:(

My Daughter still has her cough, but its not settling in her chest which is good...My son has had it the worst...He went thru the fever and chills, vomitting, high fevers....we had to cool him in a tub several times a night even with tylenol and Motrin... He's 6 years old , old enough to understand how sick he was..at one point he asked us if was going to die.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Thankfully he's much better now.

Of course now we wait and see ...my wife was not looking too well last night...and as for me..who knows...I'm hoping I miss out on the experience.

Thanks again everyone..
-al

Ps...Thanks for the Call Ashay..sorry I missed it
Pss..LOL RE: Biologist:)..Ardan..

Eddie
10-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Glad to hear the kids are doing better Al. Everything you said about your son gets me worried about mine alot. :(

Take care and hope it skips you and the wife,

Eddie

dpt8
10-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Al, I JUST saw this post.. WEe'll be praying for your kids. They are strong and I'm sure will be fine after this passes. Good luck to Mommy and Dr. Dad !! Take care.. David T

Elite Aquaria
10-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Al,

Glad they are getting better...

Cooldadddyfunk286
10-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I had this last week, now my girl has it. my fever shot up to 104ish...it was ruff you guys! this sucks. have you seen how precautious they are trying to be about tonight? they dont want the ppl physically handing out the candy to the kids. so what does that mean? does that mean tons of dirty kids hands in the candy bowl? you would think the odds of it spreading would be far less if only 1 person is touching the candy, not every single different kid...weird IMO.

Kenny's Discus
11-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Al,

I just came across this thread and I hope your kids get well soon. It's sad that it seems this year many of us have really been hit hard by the seasonal flu.

As always all the best to you and your family!

Kenny

David Rose
11-03-2009, 04:29 PM
So glad to hear their's improvement! Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

I've never tried the seasonal flu shots until this year. So far, so good fortunately.