PDA

View Full Version : Your Library, What Discus Books Would You Recommend ?

David Rose
10-29-2009, 11:04 AM
There are a good number of books on the market on various topics regarding Discus and fish in general. One of the first things I look for is the pub date, edition #, author etc. to determine who most likely has the most current studies and recommendations for fish disease, preferred meds and treatments.

Similar to posts that I've seen for recommended meds to have in our medicine cabinets, do you have any recommendations for books that we should have on hand as well?

I know some of these books can be somewhat costly and our local libraries IME do not usually have them available to preview, so your recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Moon
10-29-2009, 11:24 AM
I would recommend Andrew Soh's books. He has two books out the most recent one came out early this year. It's called Discus Problems and Solutions.
Untergasser's book on Discus Health is a good reference source.
Heiko Blehr's book is a good reference for wild caught fish.

seanyuki
10-29-2009, 12:00 PM
For good references I also recommend Andrew Soh's books ...The Naked Truth & Discus Promblems and Solutions......Dick Au's books Back to Nature and Trophy Discus......another book by Dr.Clifford Chan's book....Singapore Discus in the New Millennium.
For just pictures of discus....Asian Discus Volume 2 & Malaysia Discus or Penang Discus or even Discus cataloque by Martin Ng.

Walter has some good books in his website....here's the link

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/books/index.html

Hope this helps.:)

Eddie
10-29-2009, 06:55 PM
And shipping is free, a must have IMO.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fish-Disease/Edward-J-Noga/e/9780813825588/

Cheers

David Rose
11-02-2009, 12:18 PM
BTW... I've worked in the publihsing industry and here's a great place to check out discounted books, music, videos:

www.half.com

mmorris
11-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I recommend both of Andrew Soh's books. He'll have you drawing circles and triangles on pics of your fish, and the information on genetics goes well beyond what I have seen in other texts.

Eddie
11-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Both of Andrew Soh's books
Success with Discus Vol. 1 & Discus as a Hobby, by Jim Quarles
Discus Health & Handbook of Fish Diseases, by Untergasser

Eddie

rsawest@yahoo.com
01-01-2010, 11:44 AM
I would recommend Dick Au's two books, Back to Nature Discus Guide and Trophy Discus. Trophy Discus is an excellent book about breeding and genetics.

Some older books, Jack Wattley's Handbook of Discus and Jim Quarles' Success with Discus Vol. 1.

I also like Penang Discus by Shaifullah Yeng. Great information and advice.

Even though these are now older, great breeder and picture books include Asian Discus 1 and Asian Discus 2. Johnny Yip needs to put out a volume 3!

Clifford Chan's Discus in the New Millennium is a great book focusing on Singapore discus breeders. He needs to put out another book for this new decade.

And finally, if you get a chance, the out-of-print Discus Catalouge Atlas by Degen is a great picture book, especially for pictures of wild discus.

Wahter
01-03-2010, 09:02 PM
<snip>

Even though these are now older, great breeder and picture books include Asian Discus 1 and Asian Discus 2. Johnny Yip needs to put out a volume 3!

<snip>

I asked Wayne Ng about Johnny Yip when I visited Hong Kong in 2008 and Wayne told me that Johnny is no longer photographing fish, but has gone on to do fashion photography! :):):)

Walter