PDA

View Full Version : Deworming fish?

localfishbreeders
10-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I usually deworm my flowerhorns with jungle fizz tabs and jungle medicated food crushed and mixed with frozen blood worms.

Is this something that should be done with discus as well? I have 2 adult discus coming in tomorrow. I was planning on deworming them in 2 weeks. The process is a bit stressful for the fish so i'm not sure if this is something that is only used as a last resort if the fish gets sick.

Eddie
10-29-2009, 10:32 PM
If they are adults, there really isn't a need to. Are they wild discus? If so, I would worm them. Also, the meds you are using only handle tapeworms (cestodes). Discus can carry nematodes also.

Actually just noticed that you mentioned Jungle medicate food, if it is the pellets, then there is Levimasole in it. One major thing to consider though, is that you are greatly reducing the amount of meds by combining the crushed food to the worms. Thats even if the bloodworms are absorbing any of the chemicals at all.

Eddie

smiley
10-30-2009, 07:39 AM
eddie what do you think about adding this medicated food to frozen bloodworms and then refreezing it? Does it lose its effect? coz some of the fishes i notice are drawn to FBW but they dont like pellets

Eddie
10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
eddie what do you think about adding this medicated food to frozen bloodworms and then refreezing it? Does it lose its effect? coz some of the fishes i notice are drawn to FBW but they dont like pellets

Yeah, it won't be sufficient IMO. Combining the medicated food with more food reduces the strength. If your fish wont take a medicated flake or pellet, hopefully your fish take a mix and just make a medicated mix. Otherwise, levimasole can be used directly into the water.

Eddie

bearnuc
12-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Noted yr concerns... I'll b medicating them with Aquapharm No. 1, and No. 2. Shall i use full dosage or Half for these Heckel?
http://www.aquapharmlabs.com/fresh/medications/index.asp

mmorris
12-29-2009, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't use either unless the fish arrive with symptoms that suggest a problem. If you want to worm, I suggest levamisole in the water and repeat in three weeks. You shouldn't need to de-worm again unless you add live, fresh-water food or other fish. I prefer adding levamisole to water rather than food because if you feed it to them, you cannot be sure all fish have eaten enough to have acquired a therapeutic dose. Levamisole is sold as a pig wormer in farm feed stores.

Eddie
12-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Noted yr concerns... I'll b medicating them with Aquapharm No. 1, and No. 2. Shall i use full dosage or Half for these Heckel?

Not sure what the chemical is in either of those but No 2 would not be something I'd use as it looks like an antibiotic.

Best thing to do is to take a stool sample from the Heckel and check it under a scope. It has to be pretty much as it drops out. You'll find lots of nematode eggs if the fish are carrying worms. ;)

HTH

Eddie

L204emperorflash
12-29-2009, 12:17 PM
i used levamisole hcl to deworm my discus but make sure you dont overdose

Darrell Ward
12-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Where in the world do you guys still buy levamisole? I gave up looking for it long ago. It's like searching for "The lost ark" or something.

Eddie
12-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Where in the world do you guys still buy levamisole? I gave up looking for it long ago. It's like searching for "The lost ark" or something.

The last place that I found to carry it, was all out. Some pigeon joint that Jhhnn had recommended.

Eddie

joanr
12-29-2009, 08:47 PM

Foy's Pigeon Supplies.
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/586.html

They have the 7.5 gram powder. It's called Vermisol. You'll have to make a solution, for easy dosing follow Al's directions here:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=75621

HTH!

Eddie
12-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Foy's Pigeon Supplies.
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/586.html

HTH!

Thats the one, thanks Joan

joanr
12-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Anytime Eddie, considering all the help you've given around here, thanks back at ya! I haven't tried it yet, opted for the Fenben flake. Didn't see anything that looked like dead/paralized worms on the tank bottom but Darrell, follow Al's directions and you should be real safe using this formulation. It's not 100% pure Levamisole, so you are not really getting 100 grams of Leva.

Darrell Ward
12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks! :)

mmorris
12-29-2009, 11:16 PM

No farm feed stores nearby?

zamboniMan
01-02-2010, 02:01 AM

Is there anything else in the stuff sold in farm/feed stores?

mmorris
01-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Is there anything else in the stuff sold in farm/feed stores?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean.

zamboniMan
01-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Well I know with a lot of livestock the stuff (levamisole, etc) you buy at farm/feed stores is usually a mix of different chemicals to help it be effective.

Darrell Ward
01-02-2010, 02:28 PM

There is a Tractor Supply store around here. I suppose I could try there. Thanks. :)

Darrell Ward
01-02-2010, 02:29 PM
i used levamisole hcl to deworm my discus but make sure you dont overdose

So what is the correct dose?

Eddie
01-02-2010, 07:42 PM
So what is the correct dose?

The amount used by aquatic vets:

Prolonged immersion - 38 mg/gallon (Butcher 1993).

Taken from Fish Disease, Diagnosis and Treatment, written by Edward J. Noga

HTH

Eddie

Darrell Ward
01-03-2010, 12:06 AM
The amount used by aquatic vets:

Taken from Fish Disease, Diagnosis and Treatment, written by Edward J. Noga

HTH

Eddie

Mg/gallon does not compute into the teaspoons of "Hillbilly English"! I guess you need a scale for that fancy stuff. :D

Eddie
01-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Mg/gallon does not compute into the teaspoons of "Hillbilly English"! I guess you need a scale for that fancy stuff. :D

Sorry Darrell, definitely need to get a small electronic scale, its worth its weight in GOLD.

Take care!

Eddie

joanr
01-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Darrell, it just depends on what formulation you can find. Some is pure Levamisole, some is Levamisole HCL, the concentration should be noted on the bottle. The one I have is 7.5g of Levamisole HCL and if you find that use the dosing info contained in the link I gave above, scroll down to where Al aka Brewmaster is giving dose instructions.

mmorris
01-03-2010, 12:28 AM
The levamisole I bought from the feed store is pure - no additives. Discus keepers, I think, should have a good set of scales for measuring meds. They don't cost much. Mine measures in the tenths of a gram, but I wish I had bought one that measures in the hundredths. Teaspoon measures are really inadequate for this.

Darrell Ward
01-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks again everyone!:)

Richy44
01-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Als post: ( foxy's pigeons )184 mgs/ 20 gals. He was talking about the old oblets being dosed at this amount and the formula he has was close to that..

That is a big difference..........4 X more ..Anyone have a suggestion which dosage they used to be effective.. i am assuming you can overdose this med and dont want to do that..

Thanks

Rick..

Eddie
01-06-2010, 07:43 PM

Als post: ( foxy's pigeons )184 mgs/ 20 gals. He was talking about the old oblets being dosed at this amount and the formula he has was close to that..

That is a big difference..........4 X more ..Anyone have a suggestion which dosage they used to be effective.. i am assuming you can overdose this med and dont want to do that..

Thanks

Rick..

Yeah Rick, my information is what vets use. Might try the lower dosage, if its still effective. Scoping the feces will let you know if its working. ;)

Eddie

mmorris
01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
levamisole - 2ppm for 24 hours, dose again in three weeks.

fishorama
01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
^^And another measure, 2mg/liter (same as Martha's). Lights out!

Just a note on levamisole, chefkeith at loaches.com has deleted his easy to use levamisole calculator because he thinks all that's available is now several years old & should not be used. I keep mine in the fridge & hope...

mmorris
01-07-2010, 12:47 AM
I found this article on levamisole while looking for chefkeith at Loaches.com:
http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1/?searchterm=chefkeith

Hi Nancy. :)

roundfishross
01-07-2010, 07:57 AM

tractor supply company!!!:)

moik
02-14-2010, 09:18 PM
vitaking.com start your search there..try racing pigeon supply places on the interent..
tractor supply company!!!:)

erikc
02-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Treat the hecekls as you would any other discus, however do observe them closely and if something is amiss do an instant water change.

It's always better to be safe than sorry, you do have a nice group full of potential.