PDA

View Full Version : WC, Discus Buffer questions

localfishbreeders
10-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Water is in the mid/high 7s out of tap. I used discus buffer to lower it to around 7. If I want to do 25% wc every other day, should I mix the discus buffer in a 50g drum or just mix it in a bucket as i need it?

Should I be using discus buffer at all?

This is for an adult pair.

Thanks

brewmaster15
10-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Hi,
Discus Buffers are not needed... just age and heat the water and use that for the water changes...

Your water will be just fine for discus without adding Buffers.

hth,
al

localfishbreeders
10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
even though i am trying to get them to spawn?

akumastew
10-30-2009, 10:16 AM
even though i am trying to get them to spawn?

Discus can spawn at a pH between 7-8.

There is sugegstion on the forums, that a lower gH/kH can help with fertilization of the eggs.

localfishbreeders
10-30-2009, 10:17 AM
im assuming RO would bring those down?

akumastew
10-30-2009, 11:39 AM
im assuming RO would bring those down?

Straight RO has virtually 0 gh/kh. At least mine does.

brewmaster15
10-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi,
First suggestion... make the new pair happy.... give them stable water and good food....let them lay eggs and see what you get for hatch rates....if they are poor hatch rates you may get better ones by using RO water to cut the hardness and conductivity of your well water.. either way..discus buffer is not a good way to go and not needed, IMO&E

BTW, Instead of focusing on the pH...I would test your conductivity or TDS and work off that value when you are working on breeding parameters...

hth,
al

localfishbreeders
10-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Al,

As I mentioned earlier I used dicus buffer but it went back up to mid 7s. THe fish seem ok but is it even worth it to try to add it to the water with the water changes?

you seem quite confident with letting these fish live in the alkaline range. I'm just a newbie and that stand seems to contradict most of the info i've found. Can you elaborate on the subject please?

Eddie
10-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Al,

As I mentioned earlier I used dicus buffer but it went back up to mid 7s. THe fish seem ok but is it even worth it to try to add it to the water with the water changes?

you seem quite confident with letting these fish live in the alkaline range. I'm just a newbie and that stand seems to contradict most of the info i've found. Can you elaborate on the subject please?

I guess being a newbie you do need some clarification but in the future, generally if Al (Brew) says the sky is falling.....you better get underneath something. ;)

The information you are probably referring to is the information on the general habitat in which discus are found in. Yes, they do live in acidic waters but over the last 4-5 maybe more...decades, people have been domesticating discus. Keeping/breeding them in more alkaline waters.

They can thrive in a very wide range of PH ranges, from 5-8. You can condition the fish to whatever PH range is easiest for you to maintain without the use of chemicals. Simple is best for the fish.

Eddie

rickztahone
10-30-2009, 11:48 PM
I guess being a newbie you do need some clarification but in the future, generally if Al (Brew) says the sky is falling.....you better get underneath something. ;)

The information you are probably referring to is the information on the general habitat in which discus are found in. Yes, they do live in acidic waters but over the last 4-5 maybe more...decades, people have been domesticating discus. Keeping/breeding them in more alkaline waters.

They can thrive in a very wide range of PH ranges, from 5-8. You can condition the fish to whatever PH range is easiest for you to maintain without the use of chemicals. Simple is best for the fish.

Eddie

+1 about the range in which present domesticated hybrids can live under. when breeding i would follow Al's advise and just let them do their thing for now. play it by ear and if you need RO then when the time comes we have fellow memebers that can help you with that as well

localfishbreeders
10-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Very good,

Al and Eddie
I meant no disrespect and I value your opinion. I will stay away from the buffer.

This is one of the fish

http://www.flowerhorncraze.com/uploads/monthly_10_2009/post-3567-1256929193_thumb.jpg

Eddie
10-31-2009, 12:19 AM
No...not at all buddy. All the best with them!

Eddie

brewmaster15
10-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Al,

Sorry, should done a better job explaining it... It was late when I posted my reply and This week has been rather stressful and busy! Eddie and Ricardo filled it in good.

I Guess if I seem confident....its because my water is well water and the pH here is on the average pH 7.6-7.8 and medium hard...I raise all my discus in it and will even breed them in it...I get lower hatch rates when I use my well water than if I use RO... but if I am "proving" a pair to see if they are fertile..its fine.

The general rule to discus keeping is to keep it simple... Buffers and chemicals sold to target audiences of discus keepers generallly are not worth a dime and the money would be better spend on storing and aging water so its stable....and on quality foods, heaters and real supplies. The only chemicals you may need is something to neutralize chlorine and chloramines and maybe when trying to optimize breeding parameters.. an acid/sodium bicarb ...nothing fancy there...and thats really a whole other topic, best discussed in the water works section.:)

HTH,
al

Al and Eddie
I meant no disrespect and I value your opinion. I will stay away from the buffer. non taken!:)

localfishbreeders
10-31-2009, 03:17 PM
thanks!
I've only had the fish for 2 days, sold as a possible pair. The fish seem to follow each other everywhere, one of them shakes its tail up and down really quick. I don't know what "bowing at each other means" I also noticed them pecking at the back of a thermometer.

Water is at 82 degrees.

Both of them have pointy-ish dorsal and anal fins so i can't tell if they are both males or not. Then again from what I've read and been told it's not a 100% way to sex the fish.

brewmaster15
10-31-2009, 03:57 PM
If you keep the water stable and clean, you'll probably find out soon enough if they are a pair.... Be patient...It can take some pairs a while to get it right....others are born naturals at it...

good luck, hope that you get eggs and they hatch.!

-al

localfishbreeders
10-31-2009, 11:16 PM
I just checked TDS and I got 360 what do you think?

Eddie
11-01-2009, 12:32 AM

Let the fish lay eggs if they decide to, and if there is a problem with the eggs being fertilized, then worry about it.

Eddie

brewmaster15
11-01-2009, 10:37 AM

I agree with Eddie here .. Also....test your TDS out of your tap if you have not already...Buffers usually affect the TDS....and can take a few water changes to remove entirely from a tank.

hth,
al