PDA

View Full Version : strain question

jsciacca
10-30-2009, 06:38 PM
what makes the scorpion strain a scorpion strain.....the blues a great looking

seanyuki
10-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Blue Scorpion aka Blue Snakeskin...This strain has a solid blue color all over the body and several thin snakeskin pattern in their face and fins... quite similar with Cobalt Blue, Blue Diamond, or any other kind of solid blue Discus... but the difference is within their snakeskin type stress bar...

Jhhnn
10-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Scorpions are the result of crossing 14 bar snakeskins with solid colored fish. Snakeskin x Blue Diamond (barless)= Blue scorpion, with the offspring grading in color and pattern from almost pure snakeskin to almost pure blue diamond, some with 14 bars and some barless. How that plays out in successive generations, I don't know.

Pics of some of my scorpions here-

http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/ac286/Jhhnn/fish/

Check the captions, they're not all scorpions. My pair, Bill and Jean, are siblings, each at the opposite end of the color/ pattern spectrum from each other... Bill exhibits 14 bars almost all the time, except in that pic, and I've never seen bars expressed by Jean, at all. I suspect that the ideal for scorps is 14 bars and intermediate pattern, expressed in some of the other fish...