PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Advice

akumastew
11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
I guess this would be in the beginners section...

I bought a 125 gallon, and it came with a basic 2 x 36" 48W Fluorescent Lamps Hood.

I am unimpressed with it, the fish look dull when at the back of the tank and look great when at the front of the tank.

Could someone throw me some suggestions on how to improve my lighting, so the fish look good wherever they are in the tank.

Some links where to purchase it would also be helpful.

I would prefer to stay under $500 for the purchase. :) And under $200 would be even better. ;)

captain morgan
11-01-2009, 08:15 PM
This thread taken from a post I had made earlier, T-5 lighting maybe overkill for your tank if you don't plan on growing plants though. Other wise you might try different bulb spectrums with your current light system as you probably have just plain bulbs.

Anyone out there- especially Canadians wanting to upgrade their lighting, I would check out Catalina Lighting in the U.S.A. They will install the bulbs of your choice, and can customize your size of light to include the dimmable moonlights. I searched locally in town for something comparable first and it would have cost me between $600-$1000 for a 2 - 4 lamp T-5 system with moonlights- that were not even dimmable. My light from Catalina only cost $250.00 shipped to my door. Things are so much cheaper in the U.S. and we Canadians are getting hosed!

akumastew
11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks Captain.