PDA

View Full Version : Found Something That Eats BGA

Patr1ck
11-02-2009, 04:38 AM
It may be a fluke, but last night I saw one of my magenta mystery snails munchin on some BGA, yes! Ive been battling it for months. I didnt know of anything that would help in the fight of removing BGA.The BGA seems to be disappearing in that tank since Ive put them in there. Ill see if I can catch any others eating it to be sure?

Patrick

exv152
11-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Blue Green algae is usually due to low nitrates in the tank. What level are your nitrate readings?

Disgirl
11-02-2009, 11:49 PM
That's good to know Patrick. I have also seen Nerite snails eating the little bit I have in an angel tank.
Barb:)

RodneyL001
11-11-2009, 05:12 AM
So, exv152, one of the benefits of keeping up with your water changes is to keep your nitrates low, so where do you think I should keep mine, nitrates, up to around what ppm?

Patr1ck
11-11-2009, 03:28 PM
I had 2 discus tanks going at the same time. One a lightly planted, low tech, 90 gallon and the other a 29 gallon bare bottom. The 29 gallon got 95%wc every day with reconstituted ro water. The 90 gal planted tank got 50% once a week (same water). The bare bottom did not have a speck of BGA but the planted tank had enough BGA for me to sell and make millions.jk. The 29 gallon with a wc schedule like that would have had lower nitrates than the 90 except the 90 was the one with the problem. I think that low nitrates might cause it in a high light tank with CO2. See this article http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm. I think it was something else. If I was to guess I would say that it was the old substrate that I used. When the substrate before the one just mentioned was in there I didnt have problems with BGA either. For discus Id say keep the nitrates between 10 and 20 ppm.

Pat