PDA

View Full Version : Do golden melons pepper??

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-05-2009, 02:41 PM
simple question really. I really like melons, but since they are pigeon based, I know they could potentially pepper. are golden melons cleaner?/no peppering?? I like RGDs, but they can go black in the fins, are there any reds out there that are solid red, without black fins/tails and wont pepper?? A super flamingo, or a tropical red coming from Forrest...would these pepper or show black on the fins?? Even tho I want a super clean red, I think a pigeon based red would probably grow out the fastest and largest right? been real interested in the reds lately. even more so in the brown based reds. next goal may be a red tank, we'll have to see. for now Im goin for broke after completing my blue tank! LOL! ;)

William Palumbo
11-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Jason...I do have a Gold Melon pair, and they do thro some fry with peppering, tho not many. The parents are both very clean...Bill

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
nice. thanks for the info Bill. I really love the intense yellow/gold/red/orange that these fish have goin on. I can imagine a tank full of adults! a beautiful sight to see. eventually if I do a red tank, I think it would be cool to either do all 1 strain, like golden melon, or a mix of all different red strains, Sans, RGDs, golden melons, maybe some others too!

William Palumbo
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
The pair I have came from Eric...and they are ORANGE! Glowing orange!...LOL...Usually the first pair that catches visitors' eyes when they see the breeding section of my fishroom. Also a waiting list on their fry!...I can imagine how cool a tank of adults would look...Bill

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-05-2009, 03:19 PM
yeaaah! thats what Im talking about Bill! I remember a while back when I saw some adult red melons at the LFS...first time I have seen a melon in person...anyway man, these fish were GLOWING...this bright orange/pink/yellow. it looked phenomenal. complete eye catchers for sure. I wish I wasnt so broke at the moment. I wanna get my hands on a little group of these golden melons. atleast christmas is right around the corner! ;) yours must be real nice if they came from Eric...looking at the pics of Erics golden melons is what really sparked this interest. then I realized that they would probably be a suuper clean, intense red fish. Im sold. :p

William Palumbo
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
They are nice!...I will try to take some pics of the batch of fry I have, are only about quarter sized, but you can see coloring already...Bill

Rod
11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi Jason,

If you don't like any black, then go for albino red's. Every non albino will have some black weather they are pigeons, goldens or brown based.

Smiladon
11-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I really want to get a tank of red flamingos or the red melons or mixed. Would it be advisable as a starter's Discus? or should I stick with other common PBs?

vss
11-05-2009, 06:14 PM
well...I'd say yes. every PB-based fish has the potential to show peppers, most brown-based fish (including RGD) will show the black halo when they mature, and for albinos, except for those very top quality individuals, the red color is not as intense and is hard to maintain...everything has its own pros and cons:o a natually chilli red fish without any black color on the body is the ultimate goal, but personally i don't thing it's achieved yet. :(

I did once see some improved pigeon based red fish on another forum that have full red color coverage over the body and fins, white face, red eyes, and without a single pepper at all, look just perfect. But since he only showed a few pieces, I don't know if the whole batch will be as clean and red or not, and I've no idea if the offsprings will be like this or not either...I guess if we throw them into tap water directly, they will still show some peppers:D But, does peppering really matter that much?? Personally I don't mind a discus to be slightly peppered, as long as the color and shape are good.

Or maybe an improved snowwhite based red fish, like the valentine or those redwhite grade-A, would fit your taste?

-Xiaofei:)

Rod
11-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Or maybe an improved snowwhite based red fish, like the valentine or those redwhite grade-A, would fit your taste?

-Xiaofei:)

I was thinking just that after i posted before. Premium grade valentine are very clean. Although still very rare Valentine yellow is also very clean, but so far i have only seen 5 pieces available.

Rod :)