PDA

View Full Version : Irish moss??

jhamil
11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Is there any type of moss that may be planted at the bottom of a discuss tank? If so what would be the ideal conditions Temp., subtrate etc.:antlers:

yikesjason
11-05-2009, 06:41 PM
The most common method for moss carpeting is to tie it to a rock or sandwich it between two pieces of stainless steel mesh.

jhamil
11-05-2009, 06:56 PM
I use White sand as my subtrate will the moss adhere it self to the sand? At what point do i remove the steel mesh?

bettebulldog
11-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I dont think it will attach to the sand. It will however be quite attached to the mesh and would not be removed easily without a big mess. You can use plastic mesh from a craft store as well. just sandwich the moss inbetween the 2 pieces and tie the two together. the moss will growout and you wont see the mesh. Whats a good moss for discus water temps?

calihawker
11-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Irish moss in a fish tank? I thought it was just for beer!:D LOL (brewers joke):p

I broke mine up and tied it to small rocks then buried the rocks just below the surface of the substrate.

yikesjason
11-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I am pretty sure that Irish moss is not aquatic. But there are plenty of mosses that are. Flame moss is probably the one that would work the best for some type of carpet. I have seen it done before. But most mosses work best growing on the side of something. Moss is normally kind of droopy and wouldn't be great for carpeting.

jhamil
11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I found this great site ENJOY http://www.aquamoss.net/Introduction.htm

brewmaster15
11-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Irish moss in a fish tank? I thought it was just for beer!:D LOL (brewers joke):p Lol.... I saw the title here and thought someone wanted to use it as a water clarifier!:):):):)

-al