PDA

View Full Version : discuss aggression...better to add or subtract?

chicklett1
11-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi all,
I just purchased 4 new discus from a very reputable breeder (sponsor here), and I've got them set up 2 each in 15 g BB quarantine tanks. I put the two smaller ones (3 inch) together and the 2 larger ones (3.5-4 inch) together. The plan is to eventually move them to my large discus display tank when they are fully quarantined.

In both of the QT tanks, there is a larger, aggressive one picking on the smaller shy one. I'm worried that the more submissive ones are getting stressed and not able to eat as well, which is of course counterproductive to my whole goal of wanting big, happy, fat discus!

Would it be better to separate them entirely so the wimpier ones can go at it with the food? Or is it that there aren't enough in each tank for them to feel comfortable? Would they be happier all together?

(Water parameters are fine: pH 7.2, temp 85, no nitrites, 3 nitrates, no ammonia. 80% WC daily with fully treated water, twice daily vacuuming out the bottom of the tanks. QT tanks are fully cycled. Fish are eating live California black worms, frozen blood worms, tetra bits, tetra color flakes, and ocean nutrition prime reef, fed 5-6 times/day)

mmorris
11-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Good on you for quarantining! :) Can you get a 29 gal? :) They'd be happier all together, and one day you will want that 29. ;)

tdiscusman
11-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I agree, need to put them together in a bigger tank, 29gal is good, but no more than 29g right now. The more space/room you give the the discus, the more territorial and aggressive they become.

Tony

chicklett1
11-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Thank you for your advice, guys. Guess who's going tank shopping now? :)

Eddie
11-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Thank you for your advice, guys. Guess who's going tank shopping now? :)

Dont forget what they say.....bigger is better! :D

Eddie