PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Peroxide?

jhamil
11-09-2009, 02:16 PM
I read that Peroxide may be used for ponds to control hair algae. May i use this in My discus tank? :confused:

tdiscusman
11-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I read that Peroxide may be used for ponds to control hair algae. May i use this in My discus tank? :confused:

I've recently been reading up on the use of Hydrogen Peroxide (HP), as a cure and control algae also. From what I've read, for algae control, people are using it either:

1. to clean algae from their tanks, when tank is empty.
2. spot treating algae by squirting directly on to the algae using a syringe.

I've don't know if any one add direct to the tank. I'm interested to know if anyone have added HP to their discus tank also.

For parasite and fungus cure, as matter of fact, I was experimenting with this yesterday. I had one 3" discus which has a small white patch on its caudal fin. I gave it a 5 minutes bath in solution (3% HP) 38 ml/gallon. This seem pretty hard on the fish: it body turned blotchy, clamped fins etc (looked stressed out), but recovered about 2 hours after returning it to the tank. As for the white patch on the caudal fins, I'll see if HP cure it in a day or two.

HTH.

Tony Nguyen

jhamil
11-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Thank you for your feed back. Good luck with the recovery of the stressed discus let me know how it turnsout..

tcyiu
11-16-2009, 09:02 PM

In my opinion, H2O2 is too dangerous to use in aquariums. It oxidizes whatever it touches. In plain English, it burns the gills, the eyes, the slime etc. of fish. Think of it like ozone. Normally, ozone is neutralized with carbon BEFORE the water is re-introduced into the tank. By adding H2O2, it would be like injecting ozone directly into the aquarium water.

I have used it with a fish that has been brought out of water and placed in a wet towel. Then I apply it topically to the fungus or whatever. BUT never the whole fish. But frankly, I prefer to use concentrated salt instead of H2O2.

The only good news is that once it has contributed the extra oxygen to whatever it is burning, what remains is H2O, plain water. So there is no residual chemicals to worry about.

But I think it is way to extreme to be using in a fish tank. Just my personal opinion.

Tim

tdiscusman
11-30-2009, 04:19 PM
In my opinion, H2O2 is too dangerous to use in aquariums. It oxidizes whatever it touches. In plain English, it burns the gills, the eyes, the slime etc. of fish. Think of it like ozone. Normally, ozone is neutralized with carbon BEFORE the water is re-introduced into the tank. By adding H2O2, it would be like injecting ozone directly into the aquarium water.

I have used it with a fish that has been brought out of water and placed in a wet towel. Then I apply it topically to the fungus or whatever. BUT never the whole fish. But frankly, I prefer to use concentrated salt instead of H2O2.

The only good news is that once it has contributed the extra oxygen to whatever it is burning, what remains is H2O, plain water. So there is no residual chemicals to worry about.

But I think it is way to extreme to be using in a fish tank. Just my personal opinion.

Tim

Tim,
You are right about it's extreme, after the treatment above, my discus has frayed fins, like ammonia burns. However, the treatment did cure the fungus (white patch) problem.
The reason I've tried H202 is because the FDA approved H202 for use in fish agriculture (http://www.wchemical.com/Assets/File/35PeroxAid_FDSApproved.pdf). So I thought I'll give it a try. Maybe my solution is too strong, I'll try to cut the solution in half next time (if my discus is sick) to see what how it go.

Tony

Jason
11-30-2009, 05:11 PM
I use 1 drop or ml per gallon to keep eggs free of fungus

Bwhiskered
11-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide 3% is perfectly safe to use on all fish. The recommended dose is 2mm per gallon. It is good for clearing fungus on most fish and can be used as a 5 minute dip at 4mm per gallon. I don't hesitate to use it on discus as well as small fry if the need should arise.

lemondiscus
11-30-2009, 07:42 PM
I have used it for algae treatment myself of several occasions.

WATCH adding it directly to the tank if you have Cardinal Tetras present. I lost 30 Cardinals treating my tank. I would assume all tetras could be affected by it. The discus themselves had no ill effect.

Works GREAT for spot treatment of any algae!

714pedro
12-01-2009, 10:24 AM
@lemondiscus..
can you teach me how to dose for use on algae
thanks

lemondiscus
12-01-2009, 10:38 AM
@lemondiscus..
can you teach me how to dose for use on algae
thanks
between 1-3mL per gallon is safe... My cardinals died off when I hit it with 4.5mL per gallon... Again even that high dose didnt hurt the Discus OR my Corys

If its just on the plants you can up the dose in a cup or bowl and dip the plants for a few minutes... that works well too...

nesser
12-03-2009, 02:07 AM
I've been useing it recently,it works on BBA with spot doseing,it definately killed a loach.My Discus didn't seem to be to bothered by it,except for once I used to much and a cloud must have gone over and got them because they lost a bit of slime coat,they shook off the burnt slime and where fine.I use alot more caution know.

Apistomaster
12-03-2009, 01:06 PM
It can temporarily raise the aquarium water' redox potential but not very practical a way to achieve that.