View Full Version : First time Eheim autofeeder overfeed

Cakes
11-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I just got one, loaded it up with NLS 1mm pellets. Then opened the window to the widest setting and tested it. WOW, I have never seen that many pellets in a tank before.

Moral of the story, start by testing with the slide window only a 1/8 open.

mmorris
11-12-2009, 01:44 PM
LOL I did pretty much the same.

DonMD
11-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I always check out the dosage on the kitchen table. When I'm satisfied, I put the food back in the holder and it's good to go.:p

lkevin
11-13-2009, 12:33 AM
yeah pellets will flow out quite easily. Flakes, on the other hand, can be fed with the window wide open, especially if they are big sheets. I have mine on max feeding during the day (window fully open, 4 times a day and 2 turns per time) and i don't think its enough.

diamond_discus
11-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I found that autofeeder are best for pellets .. just test in out before you put it in use ... I also made that mistake once .. that have pellets all over my tank .. :mad:

For flakes, I found it's best to feed by hand .. I don't want to break them up so small to fit inside the feeder. Like some said earlier, sometime two turns is not enough for flakes ..

rwong2k
11-14-2009, 09:12 PM
yeah i had that problem too!, now i test the feedings onto a plastic plate or something to catch the food instead of testing it in the tank =)
live and learn!

but you're right, i find the feeder better for pellet food as opposed to flakes like prime reef, i really need to crunch up those flakes or else they don't flow out properly out of the eheim autofeeder

Raymond