PDA

View Full Version : BULLYING

smoothhound2000
11-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I currently have a discus who is bullying the others in my tank. I've tried removing and then reintroducing him and rearranging the tank but he just carries on bullying when put in the tank. He not the largest fish either. Any suggestions to stop him bullying?

Currently have 7 discus, 3 angels, 3 clown loaches, plec and 2 gouriamis in a 90 gallon planted tank. Water test done, all fine and temp is 30 celcius. Feeding blood worm, beef heart mix and pellets.

I am an experienced fish keeper, over 10 years but never had discus before. Will they grow out of this behaviour?:confused:

The discus are quite young, around 3" including tail.

plark
11-13-2009, 02:22 PM
It happens, They are cichlids

smoothhound2000
11-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Nice answer lol. I see you had similar problems with your fish, how did it work out in the end.

plark
11-13-2009, 04:27 PM
They still go at it sometimes, usually from what I've read the older they get the start to calm down....

jhamil
11-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Do not worrie i have two in my 90 gal. that work together in keeping there area clear during feeding. I have learned to distribute the food through the tank to avoid problems.

smoothhound2000
11-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys for the advice.... I have seen this before with angels but discus are so expensive you start to worry. I’ll let it develop and see what happens. cheers again.

mmorris
11-14-2009, 10:44 AM
How long has this been going on? Are any showing signs of damage or an inability to feed? If not, I'd let it go. I remember my first six discus - one was a holy terror until he had the others sorted. Once that was achieved, there was only peace and harmony. I think sometimes people jump in too quickly and try to force a resolution when often the discus can sort it themselves. And sometimes people find they bought an SOB. :D

Darrell Ward
11-14-2009, 01:16 PM
It's normal and natural. They rarely do any harm to each other. I would only intervene if a fish was getting damaged.

plark
11-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Just watch out for pecking at the eye's, If one is constanting pecking at the eye's of another then I personally would remove that fish. If it's the body pecking with an occasional eye peck then I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with your fish and I'm sure everything will be fine

rickztahone
11-14-2009, 03:34 PM
They still go at it sometimes, usually from what I've read the older they get the start to calm down....

this has not been my experience. i have noticed that when they start getting into breeding age they became way more aggressive. once they pick a space in the tank they will protect it. they are so much larger as adults that they can do some real damage. JMO