PDA

View Full Version : small fish lots of eggs

Jason K.
11-15-2009, 11:39 AM
hey all, last night was quite the experience. my youngest fish (only 8-9 months.) started laying on the heater tube. she's what i believe to be a rose red. as soon as she layed, my alum flora was right behind eating them. both have been dancing, could they be pairing?

mmorris
11-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Don't know what else it could be. :D

Rod
11-15-2009, 04:01 PM
well the rose red certainly thinks she has found a mate, sounds to me like the altum flora doesn't agree with her though. He has found a new food source :D

judy
11-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Tilt that heater tube at a 45 degree angle, and get a heater guard for it if you can. Many a female has burned her ovipositor tube and been unable to lay eggs after a mishap with the hot area.
Meanwhile, it could be a pairing or could be a second female whose hormones are fascinated by the process and whose tiny little discus mind is thinking "hmm. i could do that."
Either way, you have at least one fertile female, and a possible paired male, but it will take many more months before she's able to become a mom. Males, usually, are a number of months behind their paired female in terms of sexual maturation.

Jhhnn
11-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Judy's right- gotta change that heater... the closer to horizontal, the better.

The rest seems accurate, as well.