PDA

View Full Version : Got c02 tank and gauges.....

tcmemphisbbq
11-16-2009, 09:37 PM
So pepsi guy leaves me an extra tank and gauges, what else do I need to use co2 in my tank? Im a complete newb to co2 in aquariums (beer another story LOL case i love me homebrew)......

Thanks for advice in advance...

alan j t
11-16-2009, 09:39 PM
whats the specs of your tank you plan on putting the co2 on?

tcmemphisbbq
11-16-2009, 09:48 PM
125 - 8 discus, 2 angels, various plants I want to thrive....I know my lights are quite adequate yet, running about 1.7 watts/gal - I got the plants from a buddy who sells them on aquabid and does alot of plant shows and such, all of what he gave me he said he thought would handle the lower lights.

I know this is gonna sound newbish but do those co2 tabs work you see at lfs's? I figure I got the tank and gauges, not using them for beer right now and the tank is a big so I can prob run lines and use it for both LOL...

Here is a pic -

http://tcmemphisbbq.com/tank/11-16/CIMG0469.JPG

Discus are hiding cause I was just messing in thier tank -

Thanks,

tcmemphisbbq
11-16-2009, 09:51 PM
He also gave me a matt of riccia which Ive got matted under eggcrate and its already starting to peek through, I left some of it floating on top so it will grow together and matt up and then I can put more under eggcrate, evenually the whole front will be a blanket, will have to keep it trimmed so it doesnt go nuts but should look pretty cool...

Sharkbait
11-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi TC,

Just taking a quick look at your tank....it seems to me that with your current plant stock, you have mostly low light plants that would not require the addition of C02. My suggestion would be to simply dose ferts as normal, put some root tabs in, and dose Flourish Excel as your carbon supplement. Unless you plan on getting more intricate with your plant assortment, I think this would be fine.

I would suggest more light though. Plant growth relies heavily on a good source of light.

tcmemphisbbq
11-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah.. I hope to buy some new t5 ho's like on my reef and mantis setups in January. Using flourish now and root tabs, the plants in the retainer walls have a finer "plant substrate" with the gravel on top, I used to have the whole tank in it as the substrate but it was VERY dark and the tank water always seemed dirty with small particulate no matter what I did....

Thanks for the input

ChloroPhil
11-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I would use a small powerhead to distribute the CO2 into your tank. If you can find one of those tiny in-tank filters that'll be even better. Just put a little piece of chopstick in the end of the tube and insert the whole deal into the intake portion of the filter and viola!

Regards,
Phil

yikesjason
11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Sounds like you are ready to move to the big leagues with your plants. I am coming from the other direction, planted tanks to add discus. Even with "low light plants", co2 can be very helpful. Since you already have most of the equipment, you might as well set it up.

If you can post a picture of the co2 equipment you have, I can give you some more specific recommendations. The regulator is the piece I might need more info on. After the regulator you need a good needle valve. You can go with a clippard needle valve, but the fabco would be better. Oregon Aqua Design is a good place to order, they have good prices. Then you need a brass check valve, some type of bubble counter and some type of diffuser.

tcmemphisbbq
11-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Ive seen at the local petco a home deal co2...

You take the tabs, disolved them in thier container, the hook the hose into a rectangle clear piece of plastic which is just upside down and it says the co2 slowly will dissolve into the water.....

Sooo given that principle couldnt I fill a old coke bottle from the tank with co2, not pressurized, then run a small hose into the tank and keep the coke bottle outside the tank "below" the water level... wouldnt this also slowly release co2 into the tank? I know its lowtech and you have no way of controlling the actuall release of co2, but if I did this once per week or so just to supplement would that help them some?

Not trying to be cheap LOL just seems like its not really rocket science if you looking to supplement.....

The gauges I have are off of a commercial pepsi setup, 3 dials, really decent set of gauges....was thinking about setting up a beer fridge with it, I have the keg, fridge, save me from bottling when my homebrew is done lol but I could put a Y on it and use it for both purposes...given if the above is feasible..if its not gonna make a difference to the plants then may not matter lol :-)

yikesjason
11-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Is this what your regulator looks like? With 3 gauges and 2 regulators?
http://stores.kegconnection.com/catalog/Taprite%20t742HP%20DUAL%20BODY.jpg

With that you just use one outlet to do your tank and the other for your beer.

kush
11-21-2009, 06:51 PM
If you want to use pressurized CO2 I'd recommend a 1) regulator, 2) solenoid (on a timer with the lights), 3) needle valve, 4) bubble counter (installed off the tank in that order; Milwaulkee has a combo, cost about $100-$130-ish? seen on eBay) and 5) some sort of reactor - on my 125 I use an AquaMedic 1000 inline reactor off the canister filter but you can get a little RedSea Reactor 500 with an airline directly from the bubble-counter for around $35 that can handle a 125. You can use the powerhead method, attaching the CO2 line to the venturi vent (I have) but it wastes a lot of gas.

KH and pH can be used to determine the approximate level of dissolved CO2 which, for a planted tank ideally should be approximately 15 ppm. For example, pH at 7.0 and dKH of 5 implies dissolved CO2 at 15 ppm; pH 6.9, dKH 4, CO2 15 ppm, etc. (There's a chart at thekrib).

Alternatively, if growing plants isn't your gig, you can use the CO2 to simply lower your pH, bearing in mind that dissolved CO2 beyond about 40 ppm starts to get sort of lethal-ish.

Begin by injecting CO2 at about one bubble per second and start testing pH and kH levels. You'll need to minimize surface agitation to keep the CO2 in the water long enough to accomplish anything. If you keep your temperature high, you might want to get a test kit for O - although your fish will let you know pretty quick by gasping at the top.

Sounds complicated, but it gets to be second-nature after a while. More light would be nice but, even at one-point-something wpg your java ferns will absolutely explode (in a good way, of course). Spend some time at www.thekrib.com in the water chemistry section if you're interested.

Hope that's helpful.

kush
11-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I...couldnt I fill a old coke bottle from the tank with co2, not pressurized, then run a small hose into the tank and keep the coke bottle outside the tank "below" the water level... wouldnt this also slowly release co2 into the tank? ...

3/4 cup of sugar and 1/8 tsp yeast dissolved in warm dechlorinated water (some people add a little baking soda to control the pH but I don't bother). Shake well and attach a tube. I use those big juice bottles with an airline cemented through the cap in my small tanks. Good for about a week.

tcmemphisbbq
11-21-2009, 08:07 PM
thanks for all the info... very helpful.

Wahter
11-22-2009, 10:11 AM
CO2 & Water Hardness:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

Hope that helps,

Walter