PDA

View Full Version : About WATERCHANGE

gabriel_15
11-18-2009, 04:25 AM
Hello everyone,,, I have something to ask about waterchange..

If you do big waterchanges,,

1. is it really safe to let the fish stay in the tank? without removing them?

2. our water here is DEEP WELL,, is it ok that we immediately pour in the water to the tank coming from the faucet directly???

3. and is it safe to put Anti-Chlorine and other water conditioners directly on the tank with the fish on the aquarium??

Thanks in advance... and good day everyone :)

Eddie
11-18-2009, 05:35 AM
1. is it really safe to let the fish stay in the tank? without removing them?

Yes, do it every day and have been for a long time.

2. our water here is DEEP WELL,, is it ok that we immediately pour in the water to the tank coming from the faucet directly???

Not sure about DEEP WELL but it depends largely on your water composition. Does your PH change largely overnight?

3. and is it safe to put Anti-Chlorine and other water conditioners directly on the tank with the fish on the aquarium??

Yes, just dump in the required amount and fill. ;)

Eddie

poconoboss
11-18-2009, 05:55 AM
I have well water and a rather large filtration system, the filtration system removes all impurities and adjusts the PH to as close to neutral as possible.

My PH is usually always around mid 6's.

I do my water changes directly from faucet to tank, never add any chemicals, don't need to with the filtration system, and of course I never remove the fish.

Never had any issues with the fish looking stressed.

Don Trinko
11-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Just to state the obvious: The tap water should be close in temp and ph.
Don T

gabriel_15
11-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Special thanks to Mr. Eddie, and to the rest of the people who respond to my post.

God Bless you

David Rose
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I have a different perspective to offer here. I have well water. It is common for wells to be high in CO2; therefore, it's possible PH can shift. My PH changes from 7.6 to 8.2 or so over 48 hours and my discus reacted to it. (Osmotic shock)

It's best to test your PH from the tap, age it 24 hrs by adding aeration to agitate the water, test PH again, continue to age it another 24 hours and testing again. Compare your three tests. If there is a large shift, it would be best to age your water adding a heater as well to get stable PH to do your water changes.

discussmith
11-18-2009, 07:12 PM
If you are on a personal well (not municipal) there is no need for an anti-chlor chemical unless water tests have shown a heavy metal contaminant.

gabriel_15
11-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Hello another question,,,

1. Is it necessary that we deworm our discus as part of their healthy maintenance?

I have read some articles saying that you must at least deworm you discus once every 3 months.. for 3 days? Is it fine?

2. whats your technique on deworming your discus by the way?

3. and, do i still have to deworm them even if they are healthy already? or not? Thanks

Eddie
11-18-2009, 11:51 PM
1. Is it necessary that we deworm our discus as part of their healthy maintenance?

No, I dont think its a must. I do it but only because I learned this from a breeder that did routine worming of young fish to keep them growing. Maybe it doesn't..;)

I have read some articles saying that you must at least deworm you discus once every 3 months.. for 3 days? Is it fine?

This is similar to what I do with youngins, about 2-3 months. 3 days medicated (fenbendazole) flake

2. whats your technique on deworming your discus by the way? Mentioned above.

3. and, do i still have to deworm them even if they are healthy already? or not? Nope, just keep them well fed and clean water. ;)

I cannot say one way is right or not. I do what do and I am happy with it. I dont have much experience.

Eddie