PDA

View Full Version : is this fish commonly used?

DiscusFreakaZoid
11-19-2009, 04:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPegSE1MtRU&feature=related

Saw this on youtube and was wondering if this kind of fish was healthy for them and where can u get it seems like the discus like it alot.

rickztahone
11-19-2009, 04:52 PM
rays can be used with discus but usually the problem is that people put the rays in a tank that they will out-grow quite fast. there are some tea-cup rays as well which i would love to have but i do not think i can get them here in Cali. there is a member on here that knows a bunch about them but alas, i have forgotten his name...

tcyiu
11-19-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPegSE1MtRU&feature=related

Saw this on youtube and was wondering if this kind of fish was healthy for them and where can u get it seems like the discus like it alot.

Store bought Tilapia is mostly farmed raised which means there is controversy about its nutritional content. It is often sold as frozen filets. Filets have less nutritional value as compared to the whole fish (skin etc.).

So the upshot is, I would add other varieties of food to make sure the discus have a complete diet. I would not only feed Tilapia filet chunks.

Also, an opinion: every batch of fish are different. Some may like chunks of fish flesh, others don't. So I would not take one YouTube video as proof that your discus will like to eat Tilapia.

Example, I made a batch of BH mix that my juveniles will only reluctantly eat (i.e. when starved and have no other choice). Meanwhile the adults in another tank fight for the mix. Go figure.

Tim

rickztahone
11-19-2009, 05:52 PM
plz excuse me for not getting the question, i thought the question was in regards to the ray

DiscusFreakaZoid
11-19-2009, 08:30 PM
plz excuse me for not getting the question, i thought the question was in regards to the ray

its kewl that was something else i was thinkin about too is getting a stingray they seem docile enough to keep with discus. i was considering a teacup or motoro. Teacups are small but i dont think they have nice coloring like motors

DiscusFreakaZoid
11-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Store bought Tilapia is mostly farmed raised which means there is controversy about its nutritional content. It is often sold as frozen filets. Filets have less nutritional value as compared to the whole fish (skin etc.).

So the upshot is, I would add other varieties of food to make sure the discus have a complete diet. I would not only feed Tilapia filet chunks.

Also, an opinion: every batch of fish are different. Some may like chunks of fish flesh, others don't. So I would not take one YouTube video as proof that your discus will like to eat Tilapia.

Example, I made a batch of BH mix that my juveniles will only reluctantly eat (i.e. when starved and have no other choice). Meanwhile the adults in another tank fight for the mix. Go figure.

Tim

good points . all about trial and error trying different foods. i want to add much variety as possible but its unfortunate that some discus are very picky eaters

Eddie
11-19-2009, 09:47 PM
feeding freshwater fish can transmit disease to discus. best to use seafood type fish.

eddie

mikel
11-20-2009, 06:38 AM
I agree. I did contemplate using tilapia, because it was way cheaper than cod or salmon....but in the end, I went with all saltwater food fish because it was supposed to have less of a chance to transmit parasite/diseases....mike

DiscusFreakaZoid
11-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Seafood it is :)

zamboniMan
11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
I've been looking into trying rays too.

From what i've read alot of people keep them with discus no problem. However the other thing I've read is that "tea cup" is used in stingray terminology to reference current size. From what I've read these rays are often rays from China which can get up to a 3 meter disc.

This made me decide to hunt down Scobina rays as they reach a maximum size with a disc diameter of 12 to 14 inches. The only problem is the source is in canada. Does anyone have experience importing fish into the US from canada?