jhamil
11-20-2009, 12:43 AM
What is the best way to attach moss to wood? I have some flame moss.:p

zamboniMan
11-23-2009, 06:24 PM
i just use fishing line

Apistomaster
11-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I have used cotton sewing thread because it will eventually rot away by the time the moss has become well established and is self Anchored to the wood substrate.
I have had much better luck growing Flame moss on Wood than common Java moss so it has become my favorite. Flame Moss seems to become anchored faster than Java moss. It has even spread over and become attached to my sponge filters. It is a prettier moss than Java Moss, too.
I have also just stapled a clump every 4 inches on wood and it grew along and attached to the wood as it spread. That is my preferred method.

I have had a few of the small fancy Pleco species become entangled in the line which caused them to die. The get under some line until their odondtode spines get snagged in the line and they roll to try to escape only to become more entangled. It is always a freak accident but still, I have lost 2 specimens this way.

DavidC
11-28-2009, 07:04 PM
wow flame moss! i had never heard of it so i had to use google but all i can say is wow what a beauty!

Apistomaster
12-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Flame Moss is one of the better Mosses to use on wood.
Traditional Java Moss doesn't form very good attachments of it's own and tends to grow in an unruly way compared to Flame Moss which spreads well from several points of attachment anchoring itself as it grows.

Christmas Tree Moss and Weeping Moss are also cool to grow on wood.
Growing Mosses is something of a hobby in itself.

I haven't yet acquired the knack of using more than one type of Moss in the same tank. The portion sizes I have received were all so small it was difficult to keep them from growing into mixed mats which can results in a less attractive growth than working with just the species you like best. It can end up looking more like a Java Moss-like mess.
It would be easier if the portions were larger because even beginning with six typical portions(about barely a tsp worth each) can take a long time to grow to a worthwhile mass.
I have ordered all mine from Thailand dealers.
Plant dealers in the States tend to only carry Java Moss and also sell it for outrageous prices for tsp sized portions. Mosses don't grow well until or unless you begin or have a certain "critical mass." It is easy for small portions to become corrupted by intrusive and unwanted algae which chokes it out.

I honestly haven't had great success growing any Mosses in discus show tanks but have had my best success in a 20 long. Especially my Black Darter Tetra+Parotocinclus sp 3 tank. Parotocinclus sp 3 is one of the miniature sucker mouth catfish species. Large females barely reach 1 inch and males about 2/3 an inch but they are very good algae eaters and are helpful in keeping the Moss clean/ Both are difficult fish to keep and require very soft acid water.
Mine are kept at a pH of 4.5 and I keep the TDS at about 25 ppm. These conditions aren't very conducive to algae growth. The Black Darter Tetras won't live long unless they are fed only live foods. I feed them Grindal worms and small live blood worms. The small Parotocinclus sp 3 ate all the algae within days and now only eat Spirulina Sticks.
Web photos of these fish:
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/img/Poecilocharax_weitzmani_1.jpg
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/gallery/files/5/1/3/9/IMG_7436.JPG

jhamil
12-03-2009, 06:20 PM
www.aquabotanicstore.com
Great post. I recomend this destributer. He gives a nice amount and he has a lots of information.

Yassmeena
12-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Flame moss, christmass moss and willow moss are all very beautiful!

My tank is at 80F and I don't use any CO2, only excel. Do you guys think moss will make it? Which one would work best?

Sorry to highjack the thread, but maybe this info would be nice for the OP too?

csarkar001
12-06-2009, 06:17 PM
while i have never done it myself, there are plenty of posts that suggest crazy glue (no joke) as the preferred method for attaching moss to wood!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=74157&highlight=crazy+glue

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=72860&highlight=crazy+glue

ChloroPhil
12-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I prefer fishing line or cotton thread to attach moss to things and use super glue for ferns like Bolbitis and Java Fern.

~Phil

Apistomaster
12-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Super Glue! I never heard of it being used before nor thought of it.
I think that it might be very useful for certain effects. Same with the Ferns.
I will try this out in a couple of days.

Mosses adapt to a variet of lighting, fertilization and CO2 conditions. I like them because they don't have to be kept using any high tech/high lighting to still end up with nice looking growth.
Keeping it clean is the most challenging aspect of growing moss to me so it looks nice and grows well. It does collect dirt or can become invaded by algae which spoils it's beauty.

Rebel1970
11-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase Flame Moss in the USA? I would like to get some soon and not have to wait on a foreign country and customs. Thanks

lipadj46
11-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase Flame Moss in the USA? I would like to get some soon and not have to wait on a foreign country and customs. Thanks

put a WTB ad over on theplantedtank