PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new discus owner here!

Angi
11-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Well, I just got my very first discus. They are about 2", I got 6 of them and they are in a 10g tank 86* large sponge filter and an air stone along with 2 potted live plants, barebottom.

I have never been more nervous in all my life I think lol I've never had kids but I spose it feels something like this haha

They are still acclimating in the bag because my ph is a bit different then where they came from, not too much but enough to have me taking this slow.

Looking forward to learning about these guys and getting to know some of you folks =)

Eddie
11-21-2009, 06:38 AM
Well, I just got my very first discus. They are about 2", I got 6 of them and they are in a 10g tank 86* large sponge filter and an air stone along with 2 potted live plants, barebottom.

I have never been more nervous in all my life I think lol I've never had kids but I spose it feels something like this haha

They are still acclimating in the bag because my ph is a bit different then where they came from, not too much but enough to have me taking this slow.

Looking forward to learning about these guys and getting to know some of you folks =)

Hey Angi, nice to meet you! Welcome to Simply!

Did you say the fish are in a 10 gallon, thats a bit tight, even for 2" fish. May upgrade them to a 29 for now and once they hit about 3 inches, onto a 55 or 75.

Hope you find plenty of info and there are lots of good peoples on here too!

Take care,

Eddie

AngryBird
11-21-2009, 10:05 AM
If you have an option, get the right size tank now rather than changing the size of the tank as the fishes grow. I hope you enjoy keeping them.

Angi
11-21-2009, 12:33 PM
The information I was given was to grow them up a little in the 10 first, then into the 29g and eventually into the 75g planted that they are destined for.. this info is wrong? 10 and 29 are barebottom with just potted plants and sponge filters. All tanks are already set up waiting for the fish =)

David Rose
11-21-2009, 02:22 PM
What kind of discus did you get?

Growing out young juvenille discus, typically folks will feed 3-5 times daily whatever their discus can consume in 2-3 minutes consisting of a varied diet of foods. With this kind of feeding schedule, I think the difficulty will be in keeping your water quality good in a 10G tank and provide sufficient room for healthy growth and minimallize agression.

I would recommend moving them now into the larger 29G or better yet the 75G tank if you have it and use the 10G as a hospital tank.

With a good water change routine such as 25-50% every day or at least 50% every couple of days with juvenilles, you'll be good to go. I would also test your water parameters every few days until your confident in your routine and your discus continue to do well. This is just my opinion and you can always change more water depending on any personal schedule limitations.

Welcome to SD and good luck with your new discus!

PS: it would be great to see pictures of your discus and set up sometime. :)

Angi
11-21-2009, 03:12 PM
All 6 are San Merahs and as for putting them right into the 75g don't you think that's a bit large for them?? Right now they are scared and won't even come out to eat yet, I put some flakes in there (the ones the guy sent me home with) and they picked at them but only if they floated their way. I will be changing at least 50% of the water daily =) and I haven't really taken any pictures yet cuz they aren't out, but I could certainly snap a few of them and their home-to-be someday =)

rickztahone
11-21-2009, 03:17 PM
What kind of discus did you get?

Growing out young juvenille discus, typically folks will feed 3-5 times daily whatever their discus can consume in 2-3 minutes consisting of a varied diet of foods. With this kind of feeding schedule, I think the difficulty will be in keeping your water quality good in a 10G tank and provide sufficient room for healthy growth and minimallize agression.

I would recommend moving them now into the larger 29G or better yet the 75G tank if you have it and use the 10G as a hospital tank.

With a good water change routine such as 25-50% every day or at least 50% every couple of days with juvenilles, you'll be good to go. I would also test your water parameters every few days until your confident in your routine and your discus continue to do well. This is just my opinion and you can always change more water depending on any personal schedule limitations.

Welcome to SD and good luck with your new discus!

PS: it would be great to see pictures of your discus and set up sometime. :)

i would not put them in the 75 just yet. the 29g is a perfect grow out tank for now. once they get a little bigger you can upgrade them to a 75. take a look at the contestants and how they upgraded their tank sizes and at what stages they did it in.

David Rose
11-21-2009, 03:38 PM
All 6 are San Merahs and as for putting them right into the 75g don't you think that's a bit large for them?? Right now they are scared and won't even come out to eat yet, I put some flakes in there (the ones the guy sent me home with) and they picked at them but only if they floated their way. I will be changing at least 50% of the water daily =) and I haven't really taken any pictures yet cuz they aren't out, but I could certainly snap a few of them and their home-to-be someday =)

You will most likely get a lot of varied personal opinions and preferences on this topic. Since they are still settling in, I would wait until they have been eating for a bit and settled in more before moving them to the 29G.

Personally, I used a 46G for (6) two inch and had increased aggression and growth was slower than when I moved them to the 75G.

Good luck!

Angi
11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Well, it would be my preference to have them into the 75g right now, I just wanted to do things right, these are beautiful babies from a great looking pair and I want them to grow up to their full potential so whatever that takes, and I guess the big concern is that my 75g tank is planted, I thought you shouldn't grow out discus in a planted tank, am I wrong in that too??

Angi
11-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Well, I don't know what the deal is but I can't post a picture here so I guess you have to go clicking :mad:

Here's the 75g (http://yfrog.com/551002205xj)

David Rose
11-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, it would be my preference to have them into the 75g right now, I just wanted to do things right, these are beautiful babies from a great looking pair and I want them to grow up to their full potential so whatever that takes, and I guess the big concern is that my 75g tank is planted, I thought you shouldn't grow out discus in a planted tank, am I wrong in that too??

I don't think it's a matter of right and wrong so much as the amount of maintenance you will need to do to maintain good water quality depending on the size tank you're using. With the 10G, you will certainly need to watch it more closely given your stocking level, your water quality can go wrong fast.

As for using a planted grow-out tank, it’s possible and natural, but again it’s about the water quality. Look up Chad Hughes on SD to see his success with planted grow out tanks as well as others. Given I don’t know the specifics of your 75G set up, it would be impossible to advise, but you can post more detail at some point here or start a different thread to get some helpful feedback on that topic.

Take Care,

Angi
11-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Interesting, I did just find a b unch of posts from Chad in the contest section.. that's pretty sweet. Maybe I would reconsider the traditional method myself. I would love for them to be in the big tank already.

David Rose
11-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Chad has an awesome filtration system set up that you can read about. I'm adding ozone to my system as well and can't wait for everything to get here.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=71402&highlight=manage+water+quality

Angi
11-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Much like saltwater, I have a 46g bowfront that's a saltwater tank =) I love it too

Scribbles
11-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Welcome to SD Angi. Best of luck with your new discus.

Chris

Angi
11-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Thanks! I am super nervous but more excited so I think it should balance out =)

Eddie
11-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks! I am super nervous but more excited so I think it should balance out =)

Dont be nervous, its all good. ;)

Eddie

Angi
11-22-2009, 01:50 PM
36hrs and not really eating, normal? =(

mmorris
11-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Well, maybe and maybe not. I would be a bit concerned because they are so small. Is the tank cycled?

Angi
11-23-2009, 02:36 AM
yep, 50% water changes daily up'd the temp from 86 to 90 now (was told that would make them want to eat) Hopefully tomorrow i guess..

Eddie
11-23-2009, 03:45 AM
yep, 50% water changes daily up'd the temp from 86 to 90 now (was told that would make them want to eat) Hopefully tomorrow i guess..

Also try different foods. I tend to use FBW as a first food, but now switched to Australian Black Worms. The fish should come around. Starting out with discus fry is not easy, but it can be done. Tank that size, 100% each day or twice a day would be better. Just make sure the water matches in PH and temp.

All the best!

Eddie

Angi
11-23-2009, 05:05 AM
I am feeding what the guy that sold them to me was feeding them, 100% huh? I dunno how to do that.. they should be flopping around in the bottom? I guess I never understood that one =\

Eddie
11-23-2009, 05:07 AM
I am feeding what the guy that sold them to me was feeding them, 100% huh? I dunno how to do that.. they should be flopping around in the bottom? I guess I never understood that one =\

Well 2 X 80% changes would be good then. :D Even if you are feeding what the seller was feeding, a new/different food may entice them. ;)

Eddie

David Rose
11-23-2009, 09:14 AM
It's not unusual for discus to not eat right away depending on where you got them, the transition to/from, new surroundings, lighting, activity around the tank location, etc.

My first discus made the trek overnight packaging from Florida and it took them a little over a week to start eating and settle in. I never had any problems with fish transitioning buying from the sponsors on SD.

You're getting good advice and doing the right things, so fingers are crossed that you see results very soon!

PS: I ended up trying live brine shrimp or black worms from my LFS that enticed them, then it was easier to get them on other foods. My preference would be the brine shrimp. See how it goes with what you're doing then maybe try live food.

Fingers crossed!

exv152
11-23-2009, 12:39 PM
It's not unusual for discus to not eat right away depending on where you got them, the transition to/from...

I think David made a good point worth emphasizing. If your discus had to travel a short distance, in good conditions, I've found they rebound fairly quickly. However, the same cannot be said for overnight deliveries, which tend to lead to more stress exposure, and longer recovery times (but there are some exceptions). I think the key is "patience, patience and then more patience".

kush
11-23-2009, 01:27 PM
I've had both discus babies and human babies and, in my experience, 1) the human babies spent much more time asleep and 2) a five gallon water-change bucket is heavier than a dirty diaper.

Angi
11-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Woohoo! They are eating =) They even spread out along the bottom of the tank picking at the floating flakes, I did try a different flake mix that I feed my other tanks, it's a meat mixture mixed with a veggie mixture.. I don't know if was that or just that they were hungry but I am HAPPY! =)

I will be doing 75% waterchanges twice a day if you think that's best =) (75% just works great cuz it's 3 buckets haha)

It's really ridiculous how happy I am right now because some fish are eating! lol most people would think I am nuts.. but I bet most of you understand lol

darkknight87
11-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Welcome Welcome welcome.
There are many differing opinions.
My first tank was a 29g grow out, which did fairly well..and thats why I now also have a 30g tall to grow my new two inchers out in.
I myself had to go from a 29 to 55, and then just this year I got the deal of a lifetime on a 150g that my fish now love. :)
Good luck with everything

darkknight87
11-23-2009, 08:09 PM
It's not unusual for discus to not eat right away depending on where you got them, the transition to/from, new surroundings, lighting, activity around the tank location, etc.

My first discus made the trek overnight packaging from Florida and it took them a little over a week to start eating and settle in. I never had any problems with fish transitioning buying from the sponsors on SD.

You're getting good advice and doing the right things, so fingers are crossed that you see results very soon!

PS: I ended up trying live brine shrimp or black worms from my LFS that enticed them, then it was easier to get them on other foods. My preference would be the brine shrimp. See how it goes with what you're doing then maybe try live food.

Fingers crossed!

I got luCKY. i Also had some shipped in from florida, but they were already eating within 24 hours.

fishorama
11-23-2009, 08:49 PM
I can relate to the new discus nervous/excited emotions. Mine were from a local breeder & he said not to feed for at least 24 hours but they were acting hungry after acclimation (at 3 am). It's good you've got them eating, now try them on several different foods to keep them interested & healthy. No picky fish allowed, LOL, variety is good.

mmorris
11-23-2009, 09:30 PM
I bet most of you understand lol

Yup. :) They're not like guppies.

Angi
11-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Ok, so they are eating, and liking the wc's so now they just need to hurry up and grow up lol they have a huge "empty" tank waiting for them. has some neons in there and a pair of lf rams but those should be sold on aquabid real soon. Along with a group of L-144 growing out =)

Eddie
11-24-2009, 04:33 AM
Woohoo! They are eating =) They even spread out along the bottom of the tank picking at the floating flakes, I did try a different flake mix that I feed my other tanks, it's a meat mixture mixed with a veggie mixture.. I don't know if was that or just that they were hungry but I am HAPPY! =)

I will be doing 75% waterchanges twice a day if you think that's best =) (75% just works great cuz it's 3 buckets haha)

It's really ridiculous how happy I am right now because some fish are eating! lol most people would think I am nuts.. but I bet most of you understand lol

Bingo...;)

Eddie

akumastew
11-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Glad to see you made it to the forums, Angi.

You will find all the information you could possibly want, on here. And probaly a lot of information that you never knew existed.

I believe I saw the babies you bought when I visited Al M. The parents were very pretty, and I am sure they will grow in to very fine fish.

- Stew

Angi
11-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Yes, they are beautiful little babies =) Now I just have to not screw them up lol But ya.. when I seen the parents i just knew these were going to be the perfect fish for my planted tank, they are amazing. Al's discus were the first adult discus that I have ever seen in real life I could have spent hours in his fish room.. amazing fish, I have to say, I am in love! lol

akumastew
11-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Yes, they are beautiful little babies =) Now I just have to not screw them up lol But ya.. when I seen the parents i just knew these were going to be the perfect fish for my planted tank, they are amazing. Al's discus were the first adult discus that I have ever seen in real life I could have spent hours in his fish room.. amazing fish, I have to say, I am in love! lol

I did spend quote a while looking at his Discus, but at that time they were to small to move...so I didn't get any.

I am looking forward to some pictures of the lil guys growing up.

- Stew

Angi
11-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Ya, I'mnot sure what the deal is, I posted some pics of the big tank a while ago said soemthing about waiting to be approved and still have never seen them so who knows *shrugs* =)

akumastew
11-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Ya, I'mnot sure what the deal is, I posted some pics of the big tank a while ago said soemthing about waiting to be approved and still have never seen them so who knows *shrugs* =)

I just noticed your link in an earlier post.

I am sure your Discus will look great once they are promoted to 72 gallon living quarters.

Angi
11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Ah yes, there it is =) Does that happen for every picture you want to post? I'm kind of a picture freak lol

Angi
11-24-2009, 06:13 PM
I just noticed your link in an earlier post.

I am sure your Discus will look great once they are promoted to 72 gallon living quarters.I checked out your pics too, very beautiful tank there, I love the rams, i have a pair of longfin rams in mine right now that I am actually selling on aquabid, they aren't breeding for me and these guys are SOOooo beautiful that they just need to go to someone who can breed them, but they "were" my favorite fish, until I seen some discus in real life haha I didn't see any discus pics there tho.. you don't have any yet? or did I just miss them?

darkknight87
11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Can't wait to see the picks of your discus.
My best friend/ Fish hunting Partner has a 72gallon bow. We've been into discus about the same time..well..More like I got one and he became interested in fish again and ever since then we take road trips to find discus :D.

Angi
11-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Pics in my album here, lmk if you guys can see them =)

Eddie
11-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Pics in my album here, lmk if you guys can see them =)

Cute little buggers, they seem a little scared. Is the lighting too strong. Maybe use a dim light and they'll probably venture out alot. Just a thought. ;)

All the best with them,

Eddie

Angi
11-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Actually, I don't have the light on at all except when I clean the tank, and then they know as soon as I shut it off it's ok to come out and look for food lol they are going to be terribly spoiled haha

Eddie
11-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Actually, I don't have the light on at all except when I clean the tank, and then they know as soon as I shut it off it's ok to come out and look for food lol they are going to be terribly spoiled haha

In the third picture, the light is not on? :confused:

Eddie

Angi
11-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Yes, sorry for the confusion, I turned the light on for the pictures, that's why they were huddled in the corner =) Normally I only have the light on for cleaning.

phat nguyen
11-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Happy Belated Birthday to you ....
Good luck with growing out your Discus and have fun doing so.

Perry Nguyen :) :) :)

Angi
11-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Happy Belated Birthday to you ....
Good luck with growing out your Discus and have fun doing so.

Perry Nguyen :) :) :)Haha thanks =) These guys were actually my bday present to me.. what work I have made by giving myself a gift lol I love them already.. =)

Al M.
11-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi Angi

I just noticed your post, this is what I would do.... make sure that they are eating very good and that they are doing well, then I would move them to your 29 gal. for A month or two, then they should be ready for your 75.
keep in mind(and I'm sure you know this) that they were fed flake,blood worms, beef heart, Mysis and small pellet food... A good variety of foods... and A stable ph...and water quality is all you should need.... Take Care Al M.

Angi
11-28-2009, 07:54 PM
That was actually going to be my next question, I have liver, beef heart, brine, and a buncha other "stuff" all in flake form that I have mixed together for these guys, but I would like to be giving them "treats" but I read that the frozen stuff is bad (has parasites or something?), well what should I be getting for these guys then? Freeze dried? where do I get this at? any help greatly appreciated =)

Thanks again for the great fish Al, they have succeeded in sucking up all my free time lol I sit with my face to the glass for hours.. maybe I shouldn't tell people that? lol!

Al M.
11-28-2009, 10:01 PM
90% of what I feed is frozen, I make my own beef heart wich is frozen, I feed hikari frozen blood worms,and hikari frozen mysis....

Eddie
11-28-2009, 10:10 PM
they have succeeded in sucking up all my free time lol I sit with my face to the glass for hours.. maybe I shouldn't tell people that? lol!

Don't worry, this is the story of most of our lives. :D

All the best,

Eddie

Angi
11-28-2009, 10:14 PM
90% of what I feed is frozen, I make my own beef heart wich is frozen, I feed hikari frozen blood worms,and hikari frozen mysis....Awesome, I am heading to mankato on monday so I will stop into a pet store there and see if I can find those products, we don't have any place that sells anything like that around here =\ I would be curious to know how you make your own beef heart.. I make food blocks for my snails and my plecos in my other tanks, I might want to try this too =)

Angi
11-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Don't worry, this is the story of most of our lives. :D

All the best,

EddieAh good, so I've found good company haha :D

Al M.
11-28-2009, 10:27 PM
angi

Theres lots of beef heart recipes, mine is the heart,uncooked shrimp,spinach,maybe some flake food mixed in, garlic, multi vitamins and knox gelatin as A binder....

Cooldadddyfunk286
12-02-2009, 05:15 PM
DANG, a whole group of San Merahs from Al?!?! ...someones a lucky girl! ;):D:D

nice to have you here at Simply! :)

take care.

Angi
12-03-2009, 04:52 AM
Haha ya I love them, they are now eating frozen stuff, I got them blood worms, brine shrimp, mosquito larve (white worms?), mysis shrimp, and something called "cichlid delight" then I got them some pellets that they don't like "Nutrifin Max" Discus sinking granules, sounded good when the guy sold it to me. Then they have the flakes and I made some food blocks with stuff like golden pearls, krill powder, spirunila powder, decapped brineshrimp eggs, and a bunch of other stuff.. there just aren't enough feedings in a day right now lol and that's what they think too.. they eat an entire cube of frozen blood worms in one feeding and their tummies get fat.. and of course they poop alot lol but it makes me so happy to watch them eat =)

Scribbles
12-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Pictures please. :D I love San Merahs.

Chris