PDA

View Full Version : Lace java fern??

Lauren
11-21-2009, 11:44 AM
I have a plant in my tanks that I really like. But since I'm bleaching everything I think it best I throw it away. But I'd want to get more.

Here are soem details. It was given to me years, and ears ago in a tiny clump. A hitchhiker.

It looks(the leaves) like lace java fern, but it doesn't grow up at all. About 1-2" max height. It's taken years but I now have a colony.
It's base does not look like java fern at all, the roots do Not spread in a line. More like a round ball. It seperated from itself and floats mini-mes that grow a bit slower than it's parents.

Here a pic of lace
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant,394.jpg

I'll see if I can upload a pic of mine.

Disgirl
11-21-2009, 12:06 PM
I have this plant too, in a Tetra tank. It does grow very slowly, stays small and seems kind of delicate, at least in my tank conditions. Good picture! You have the name right.
Barb:)

Lauren
11-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I have this plant too, in a Tetra tank. It does grow very slowly, stays small and seems kind of delicate, at least in my tank conditions. Good picture! You have the name right.
Barb:)

Barb - that's a google picture of java lace. Mine does not produce any (root/base)runners. In your tank does yours also do the same?
I've seen java lace grow to 6"+/- in other peoples tanks, but mine is definitely a dwarf(makes great carpeting when I tie it to slate)
I'll have to def get sone more. Kind of bummed it will take years to get a decent amount again.

bs6749
11-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Why are you bleaching everyithing? There are different/better ways to disinfect depending on what you want to accomplish.

The plant looks like needle leaf Java fern with Java moss tangled in the rhizome.

fishorama
11-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Lauren, I have some java lace you can have if you like. I live in Westborough

kush
11-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv' See www.tropica.com species list.

You should be able to save your java fern easily. Swish in one part bleach to twenty parts water then in a bucket with ten-times normal dose of dechlorinator. Java fern is tough - you should be able to just throw it in a bucket for a week until you're ready to deal with it.

Lauren
11-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks eeryone on the ID.

I'm disenfecting due to an unknown cause that killed all my discus. My discus would be fine healthy(chasing food, colored fine, no fear) one day then one would just magically go beserk for a minute or two- be stressed for afew minutes then die. It also did not kill all the fish at once - some were unafflicted and healthy for years. So everytime I thought I had treated properly it would return. Different water quality sources, different equipments. That leaves disease.

It never affected any other species of fish I owned except discus, and although I won't be owning any again anytime soon(finances etc) I do want clean tanks.

I'm wondering if a slight bleaching will disenfect the plants, as on the disease board I was told I should probably throw out all plants.

Apistomaster
11-28-2009, 12:00 AM
I have never thrown away plants given the recommended bleach dip. Idon't see any reason why you can't save your plants.
The reason why your discus died is not even a specific diease you could identify. It may not have been a normal fish disease. It could be any number of things from spoiled frozen blood worms to some unidentified environmental problem.