PDA

View Full Version : Time to move somebody to CT? and how much peat???

Letigrama
11-22-2009, 12:11 PM
So is been about 3-4 weeks and the pair is fine in the BT but nothing happened. However. I got the peat last week.
I did not know how much to put for a 25g. So I added a little ball of peat to the filter compartment in my fluval.
I let the water in for a whole week ( hoping it will trigger spawinning) and read the PH at about 7.2,
So i figured, the peat is not enough. I put in more peat, about the size if a fist and did a 40% WC.
that was yesterday. I took the PH reading, and is 7.6 today! WTH~
How much peat am I supposed to put on to get the PH down?
And also, the female still scare of me most of the time, if I get too close she goes behind the slate, like she does not know me at all, while the male is eating from my hand. I know the male will be ready if she was ready. Should I put plants in the tank?
Shes not in a high traffic room, however the tank is in the corner in front of the door and they can see everybody that comes in....should I move the tank....is really her, as the male has not problems with this...I need some advice....Should I separate them for a while?
Thanks!

Rod
11-22-2009, 03:14 PM
That is not the right way to use peat, it will lead to instability of the water and very poor results. My suggestion is to pack a canister filter with the peat and circulate in a water aging barrel until the desired parameters are reached, then perform your daily water changes with that water. The peat should NEVER go inside the actual aquarium where you keep the fish....

Letigrama
11-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah I read something about the barrel and doing that mechanism for the peat. However all the breeding articles that I read said to add just some peat in a bag....
Thanks for the suggestion, I will consider it.

TRUC10507
11-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't put any plants is you breeding tank. It will be hard to remove fry from your pair with too many stuff in it.
Good luck

Moon
11-26-2009, 01:43 PM
You don't need to adjust the ph for the pair to spawn. If they are compatible and ready they will spawn. Mine spawn in well water with a ph of 8.3.