PDA

View Full Version : bubbles

lpiasente
11-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I have a young melon (her name is yummy) that I have recently transferred into the main tank. She is obsessed with the bubbles from the airstone. She sits in them all day, guards them like they are food and belts anyone who dares to come near. Very strange. What is even stranger is that Mark also has one that is an adult doing the same thing. Does anyone else have discus that do this?

TRUC10507
11-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I have not see anything like that before. Can you get some pix? thx

lpiasente
11-23-2009, 03:03 AM
sure it is quite funny. When I am adding ne water to the tank via the water pump she sits right in the water flow and chases any bubbles that are created.

exv152
11-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't mean to sound facetious, but does Bubbles have other discus or tankmates?

lpiasente
11-23-2009, 04:49 PM
yes she does have 9 other discus in the tank and she hates them all she only loves the air bubbles. The only time she moves away is for food and when anyone else looks like they may come near her bubbles. I did only move her in 2 weeks ago she was in another tank with Sally the headstander. Maybe she is stressed?

tcmemphisbbq
11-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Sounds like dory from nemo,,, maybe she is a lil "off" lol

pinkjello
11-23-2009, 04:57 PM
i really think if she looks happy, fins up, and eating great that she is probably just quite content sitting in the bubbles, maybe its like a minimassage to her? Maybe its entertainmen? i think its adorable..:D

yes she does have 9 other discus in the tank and she hates them all she only loves the air bubbles. The only time she moves away is for food and when anyone else looks like they may come near her bubbles. I did only move her in 2 weeks ago she was in another tank with Sally the headstander. Maybe she is stressed?

exv152
11-23-2009, 09:23 PM

lpiasente, I wouldn't worry about it, considering she's new to the tank it may be due to some stress, and she may find it a good place to hide.

lol..."Sally the headstander" sounds like a circus act.

m.ingram
11-23-2009, 09:31 PM
As Leanne said i also have a discus that sits in the bubbles {her name is bubbles} Mine does the same things as Leannes beats anyone up that comes near her bubbles .She only leaves her bubbles for food .
I think it must be like a fish spa or something lol:)

lpiasente
11-24-2009, 02:11 AM
lol..."Sally the headstander" sounds like a circus act.[/QUOTE]

She is rather funny. I keep meaning to put a video of her up....time time time. She is a rather big heckle cross that I have had for about 8 months that has a problem and is a headstander. Very very healthy girl.

Scribbles
11-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Sounds like she just wants a little hot tub time.

Eddie
11-24-2009, 04:37 AM
My Blue Diamond started doing this a few months back. Since I have moved him/her, they dont do it anymore.....quite strange I thought. :o

Eddie

Apistomaster
11-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I have seen Discus do this many times. Often the air stone area is decided to be a prime spot for a discus because of the food particles rising off the bottom in the uplift currents caused by the bubbles so a dominant fish will often claim that area.

discusluvr818
11-29-2009, 02:46 AM
I have seen Discus do this many times. Often the air stone area is decided to be a prime spot for a discus because of the food particles rising off the bottom in the uplift currents caused by the bubbles so a dominant fish will often claim that area.

Thats kind of funny. I had some juvies that did that in my 37 gallon. THey probably thought it was magic that food kept apearing for them lol and one had to defend that at all costs

Racquel75
04-11-2012, 09:57 PM
hey, I know this post is quite old, but I also have a discus who loves the bubbles! I just did a search on the net to see if anyone else has encountered this and was pleased to see that others have seen this too. I have had my discus for a few years, he is full grown and is the only one I have (I have tetras in with him), and about 2 months ago I put an air stone in the tank and he has hung around it ever since, he seems to be having a love affair with it! He does a little wiggle when swimming through the bubbles, and only moves away from them when eating, I had to move the air stone to the front of the tank so I could still get a good look at him. I don't think it is anything to do with getting food from it, I think it is more that it tickles him!?

Eddie
04-11-2012, 10:03 PM
hey, I know this post is quite old, but I also have a discus who loves the bubbles! I just did a search on the net to see if anyone else has encountered this and was pleased to see that others have seen this too. I have had my discus for a few years, he is full grown and is the only one I have (I have tetras in with him), and about 2 months ago I put an air stone in the tank and he has hung around it ever since, he seems to be having a love affair with it! He does a little wiggle when swimming through the bubbles, and only moves away from them when eating, I had to move the air stone to the front of the tank so I could still get a good look at him. I don't think it is anything to do with getting food from it, I think it is more that it tickles him!?

:) Welcome to Simply Discus Racquel!