PDA

View Full Version : Adding kelp

luckyfind
11-23-2009, 09:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone uses kelp in there fish food? I had a pint of kelp flakes given to me and would like to use it in my mix . Any reason not to?
Laurence

frenchie100
11-23-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't see any reason not too! :D

I have seen BH recipes with kelp in them before. I just don't remember who's :o!

Julie:)

jessbullock
11-23-2009, 11:34 PM
I've been curious about using kelp too.
I work in a health food store and we carry bulk kelp powder. Of course I'd never consider spending money on it for myself, but for the fish... :)

Anywho, my main concern is the salt content of the kelp. I was thinking if it's high enough, it may have a laxative effect on the fish - not what I'm trying for, my fish poop just fine as it is.

Perhaps used in small quantities in a beefheart mix?

Jess

luckyfind
11-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Yes that would or could be a side effect (more poop). Some more info on this subject is needed. How much to add and if any side effects. What is the cost in the health food store and for what size,just curious.

brewmaster15
11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
They sell a kelp based feed additive for horses at Agways in The Northeast USA...I don't remember the product name but its a course to fine powder... I have used that on several occasions in my homemade mixes....There was no adverse effect any time I did...

hth,
al

Jason
11-25-2009, 03:42 PM
I use it too in place of spirulina.:)

Moon
11-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I use kelp tablets in my BH mix. Just to some greens to the mix. I used to add chlorophyll capsules but have not been able to find them recently.

luckyfind
11-26-2009, 01:46 PM
I have some and might as well use it then. Did a google and kelp has a lot of vitamins and minerals in it. Any suggestions on how much to put in say a 2lb bh mix?

Eddie
11-29-2009, 01:59 AM
I have some and might as well use it then. Did a google and kelp has a lot of vitamins and minerals in it. Any suggestions on how much to put in say a 2lb bh mix?

I'd throw 1/2 cup in.

Eddie

Chad Hughes
11-29-2009, 02:15 AM
The best thing that you can use in a home made feed is Green Vibrance. :)

Best wishes!

Eddie
11-29-2009, 07:04 AM
I prefer a green vegetable high in calcium. I was using Spinach but read that that it is not as high as some other greens and it is also poorly absorbed. I've recently switched to collard greens. I'll be using collard greens or turnip greens as a mainstay vegetable.

Cheers!

Eddie

MSD
11-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Soul food for your discus, nice touch!

luckyfind
11-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Found a write up on green vibrance and sounds like something all of us should be taking for better health. Sort of a Superman formula lol.
Eddie I think I will try a tablespoon of kelp in a 1lb. mix for a trial batch and see how that goes.

Eddie
11-30-2009, 04:12 AM
Eddie I think I will try a tablespoon of kelp in a 1lb. mix for a trial batch and see how that goes.

Sounds good, tablespoon isnt much at all though.

Eddie