PDA

View Full Version : New additions to my tank - One plant and one rock

DiscusFreakaZoid
11-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Just added a plant and a rock that created a sandy hill cliff look. I want more plants and wanted suggestions what types i can get without using a co2 tank and where i should place the plants. Also wanted to grow moss on the log but couldnt find any LFS that sell moss. is there any plant that is vine-like i can wrap around my Log?

Thanks

Q

David Rose
11-23-2009, 10:27 PM
I see you got a better photographer...LOL

DiscusFreakaZoid
11-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I see you got a better photographer...LOL

Ha didnt know you were available or i wouldve asked you instead of using my cam phone. Im trying to get this heckel in my tank how do u think it would look. never had a wild but now a little curious about them if there is anything different about there care than domestics

yikesjason
11-24-2009, 12:56 AM
That looks really nice. It is going to be very difficult to keep that sand hill there instead of just flattening out across the whole tank. As for moss, don't go for java moss, it is just a big ball of moss. Something nicer like fissidens or x-mas moss would be a lot nicer. Also, subwassertang attaches well to wood. You can also always attache anubias and ferns to wood. Any of those would do fine without co2 or high light.

DiscusFreakaZoid
11-24-2009, 01:32 AM
That looks really nice. It is going to be very difficult to keep that sand hill there instead of just flattening out across the whole tank. As for moss, don't go for java moss, it is just a big ball of moss. Something nicer like fissidens or x-mas moss would be a lot nicer. Also, subwassertang attaches well to wood. You can also always attache anubias and ferns to wood. Any of those would do fine without co2 or high light.

Thanks Ill see if my LFS can order those plants thanks. Sand hill actually stays up pretty well. i dont have any plecos that disturb it like i did before. ill look into those plants i never heard of them. im just familiar with Swords.

David Rose
11-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Ha didnt know you were available or i wouldve asked you instead of using my cam phone. Im trying to get this heckel in my tank how do u think it would look. never had a wild but now a little curious about them if there is anything different about there care than domestics

Looks good.... I personally don't know that much about wilds except for what I read on SD. One of the SD breeders told me they're no different to raise, but I believe that was in reference to the difficulty level. You might want to post that question in a separate thread so the subject line attracts the "Wild" bunch on SD. :D

Apistomaster
11-28-2009, 12:08 AM
X-Mas Tree and Flame Moss are good at covering wood branches but as was pointed out, Java Moss is not as well suited. I just staple clumps every 3 to 4 inches apart then it fills in and as it does so it is self anchoring.

It is harder to get the Java ferns to do exactly what you want and they grow incredibly slowly.

Anubias may be anchored with thin long black zip ties. Once they have become well established and formed their own anchors you can cut the zip ties and remove them.

DiscusFreakaZoid
11-28-2009, 12:03 PM
thanks ill try that anubias 2nite if ThatFshplace carries any

jhamil
12-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Try Aquabotanicstore.com they carry flame moss and there customer service is great. If you call them they will answer all your questions.

David Rose
12-08-2009, 05:45 PM

FYI: I've seen various Swords at TFP in my recent trip, but no Anubias.

zamboniMan
12-09-2009, 07:48 PM
I'd go with flame moss. It's more upwright than christmas moss. Personally I like it better on driftwood. Just go to google images and type in "flame moss" and you'll see what I mean.

Hope that helps

Josh

DiscusFreakaZoid
12-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Try Aquabotanicstore.com they carry flame moss and there customer service is great. If you call them they will answer all your questions.

ill check it out thanks

DiscusFreakaZoid
12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I'd go with flame moss. It's more upwright than christmas moss. Personally I like it better on driftwood. Just go to google images and type in "flame moss" and you'll see what I mean.

Hope that helps

Josh

thanks i will. ill have to order it since no LFS around here sell moss

DiscusFreakaZoid
12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
FYI: I've seen various Swords at TFP in my recent trip, but no Anubias.

i saw anubias at petco. i was goin to buy it but got glo fish instead:D

Yassmeena
12-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Nice tank!

Did you find the anubias?

I know a seller on aquabid that carries really nice anubias and she always insulates her shipments. I always buy from her, especially the anubias nana narrow leaved. Those in particular are always so leafy and grow so well for some reason!!

Her name is chambers353.

HTH

Yasmin